Chapter Sixty-Two

Start from the beginning

This was up to me.

I shoved my dying phone into my jean pockets and started looking for the janitors closet that was somewhere in the museum. After about ten minutes, I finally found it with everything I needed to open the entrance into the walls.

With a crowbar in one hand and a flashlight in the other; I stood at the top of the stairs of the basement. I was about to enter one of my most feared places. Every single time I have gone into the basement, nothing good had ever happened. I took a deep breath and pushed all my bad thoughts away. All I had to do was go down there, open the crawlspace, and look for Zak.

I took small and careful steps as I walked down the stairs. Ever since my last ordeal in the basement, the lights have refused to work, so my only source of light was the flashlight in my hand. It was safe to say I was scared. Who knew what else lurked in the museums shadows?

I quickly made my way toward to small crawlspace into the walls. I forced the crowbar behind the small wooden door that Zak had nailed into the wall and pulled as hard as I could. After a few seconds of me pulling the crowbar, the wooden door made a few cracking sounds, then flew off the wall.

"That was too easy." I mumbled.

Right away, I threw the crowbar down on the ground and gripped the flashlight tightly. I released a deep breath and stuck one foot into the wall, then the rest of my body.

Once I was inside, I looked around using the flashlight. It was a lot tighter inside since the last time I had been in them. The insides of the walls were basically just a ton of wooden boards that were holding up the museum, many of them were so old I could feel the splinters in my hands. I sucked in my chest and waddled through the small space. After a few minutes the pathway ended, causing me to look around for another are for me to go. As I was looking around, I found a giant hole above my head that lead to the floor above me.

"Just great." I said aloud as I shone the flashlight through the hole above me.

I tucked the flashlight between my legs and lifted my arms above my head, grabbed the ledge of the hole, and lifted myself up. After lots of groaning, I finally pulled my entire body through the hole and sat on the ledge with my feet dangling below. I prayed something paranormal wouldn't grab my legs. With that thought, I quickly pulled my legs and stood myself up. I was now on the first floor; all I had to do was find Zak.

Not that hard right?

Wrong.

After an hour of squeezing my body through tiny spaces and eating about a thousand spider webs, I still couldn't find my dad. Just as I was about to give up I heard voices on the other side of the wall. I tried to make out the voices, but either the walls were too thick, or they were too far away.

In quick thinking, I pounded my fist twice on the wall. Immediately after, the voices stopped and I was able to make out a word.

"Hello?"

The voice was mumbled, but I swore I had heard that voice before. So, I pounded twice again.

"Who's there?"

The voice was now much closer to me, making it so much easier for me to understand who they were ad what they were saying.

"Aaron!?" I yelled through the wall. There was a slight pause before he spoke.

"Charlie?"

"Oh my God Aaron! I'm so glad you're here!"

"What the hell are you doing inside the walls?! And why haven't you been answering my texts?! I haven't been able to get a hold of either you or your dad!"