Chapter 16

Chapter Sixteen

No one said a word, it was almost as if everyone was frozen. I had just spoken out loud the one thing that everyone feared. Putting it out there made it real to not only me but to them, the very people that wanted to protect me from all the evil things in life. As I looked around to each person in the room I saw first hand the effect it had on the people that I had grown to love. Aggie was just staring at me with her eyebrows furrowed, the worry evident all over her face. Making eye contact with her was like a punch in the gut as I saw the emotional turmoil swirl within them. Moving on with a quick glance over at Fiona revealed more of the same emotions that were evident on Aggie's face. My parents were next and with our relationship in such a mess I couldn't help the cynicism that was already creeping into the corners of my mind. Reading the silent language of emotion that told a sad story of betrayal with a dash of regret was written all over their faces. The two people that I had never worried about deceiving their children sat in front of me, their eyes begging forgiveness. Forgiveness for something I never even knew about, something that should never had been kept from me. With less than a solid week under my belt as a vampire again, I sat facing a fight for my life, my families lives and everything that we stood for. The entire ordeal could have been avoided but because of a string of irreparable choices my parents had made we may never be the same, or we may never even live to move past it.

Sighing out loud, I closed my eyes to just try to think for a moment. So much was happening and it was happening way to fast. In over a matter of days my world had been turned upside down, some good and some not so good, but needless to say I had to try to come up with a solution to not only save my family's heritage but to become a king that I did not have any idea what that meant or consisted of. The ironic part of this entire fucked up situation was the fact that I had come to Scotland at the request of my uncle, the very uncle that now wanted to kill me, meaning that I was about to have to kill him before he killed me. That one thought made me mentally laugh because not even I was immune to the irony of it. Regardless I knew that I just wanted no needed to find somewhere peaceful and sort through all of this without everyone staring down at me to see how I was going to react and what I was going to do. If this was what a King was all about then I was not even sure I wanted to do any part of it. All of it was so overwhelming I just wanted to run and run very far away but running just was not who I was so I had to suck it all up and sort this shit out.

Opening my eyes, I made contact with the stormy gray eyes of the one person that I wanted time to get to know instead of dealing with all of this crap. Hell, I was just going to have to trust my soul that it knew what it was doing because I needed her more than I didn't and if I was being honest when she was around I felt more complete than I had ever felt. She had done more for me in the last several years than someone that wanted to cause me harm would ever do and was still standing by my side after all of this crap with my uncle had been revealed. I needed an ally and she was strong and was like a walking vampire encyclopedia and I needed that as much as I was realizing that I needed her. Before any decisions could or would be made I needed to some alone time with her but more than anything I needed her help to sort through all of this with me. She was the one person that I would spend the rest of my life with and she needed to be in on all my decisions. My first decision was that myself and my mate were going to my room to get to know each other better and learn how to be a proper vampire king with my queen, then we could collectively decide how we would kill him. Reaching for her hand as I stood, taking time to notice how her soft hand fit perfect in my large one, I gently pull her up with me deciding to let my audience know exactly how this is fixing to go down.

"I need some time to process through all of this" I said out loud to the room.

Looking around to see if anyone was going to disagree I was met with nods from everyone.