Chapter Six

Chapter Six

I sat back in the chair and processed what she had just said or at least I tried to process it.  Shock was the first thing I knew I felt and then confusion.    Confusion was something that I had battled since I arrived in this town and it seemed that it was quite the valid feeling right now. Somehow my eyes found hers and time seemed to stand still as we stared at each other, me digesting the fact that she just said we were not human and she seemed to be watching me for my reaction.    No matter how I tried to spin it her words did not make sense and if we were not human then what in the world were we. We looked human, we acted human, I for sure felt human so her statement just did not add up.

The rational side of me had twenty questions but the one that kept creeping to the front was how could anyone not be human.      I did not feel like an animal nor did I present any signs of being an animal. What even did an animal feel like anyway. There was the alien possibility, I mean people talked about aliens all the time but I think I would know if I had a space ship and reported to another planet.

I ran my hand threw my hair clearly in distress, finding myself break my gaze with Emory and look over to where Aggie stood. She was pale and stood there with her mouth ajar and eyes bulging.    It was evident that she was not happy with Emory and although she was shocked there was underlying level of anger that was seeping from her.    She was livid with her for jumping ahead of her plan I suppose of spoon feeding me information. Clearly Emory had interrupted her slow assent to telling me these so-called secrets she had promised to tell me last night.

I sighed realizing that I had not said one thing in quite a while and they were waiting to see how I reacted to this piece of information.    This led me back to my original question how were we not human, which completely floored me that I was even entertaining this idea.    I internally scoffed trying to not let out a bitter laugh more at myself than anyone else. Why had I not demanded the truth from Aggie, instead I had followed her around like a puppy dog leading me here in this room surrounded by two women who were not telling me anything that I needed to know. So, I decided right there I was taking charge, getting my answers and finding out what was really going on.  I was not going to play anymore games, give anyone else a chance to stall or entertain me with the we are not human shit anymore. 

I reached for Emory's hand and felt the shocks that becoming familiar to me shoot through my hand and up my arm.    What the hell did this reaction to her mean, not that I was complaining but it was just one more unexplainable thing that made up this place and it was starting to weird me out. As if I needed one more thing to ask about I subconsciously added it to the ever-growing list of things that I needed to ask but probably would never get answered. I know I was thinking like a shitty person but again the web of mystery they were spinning was getting old.  How hard was it to just tell someone the truth and Emory was my best bet for answers since she seemed more than willing to get right to the point.

She met my gaze with those stormy grey eyes and smiled at me.   

"Not human" I smiled as I asked this, which earned me a quizzical look from her.

"Yea, not human love" she smiled uncomfortably.

"Please no more riddles or jokes! Just the truth would be nice" I told her running my hand through my hair.

I was beyond frustrated and was growing impatient.

"I am serious, we are different" she said pausing as she looked at me as if she was trying to see if I was believed what she was saying or if I was trying to be sarcastic.