“That’s it?  No fireworks, no big finish?  You guys suck at apology plans.”

“It’s simple, but as long as you mean it, he’ll forgive you.  Trust us Georgie, we know what we’re doing.  Dallas is a friend of ours too you know.”

I sometimes forgot my friends had other friends.  Wow, I really am a bad friend.

As we pulled up to the school, I took a deep breath.

“I just want you both to know that I really appreciate you being there for me.  If things don’t work out with Dallas, I’m glad I have you two.  I know I’m not a really good friend, but I’m trying my hardest, and I hope you know that you are the two best friends I have ever had, even if you don’t necessarily think of me as a friend,” I finished my speech and looked down at my feet in embarrassment.  When reacting to emotions, this is my usual approach.

“Georgie, you aren’t a bad friend.  Heck, I bullied you for three years and you’re still friends with me.  You are the best ever, girl.  Peter Joel has your back!” Peter smiled and gave me a hug.  I giggled and got out of the car.  For a moment, I looked at Breton, but when he didn’t say anything, I closed the car door.  

Walking towards the back of the school where the bonfire would be held, I went over the game plan.  Locate Dallas, apologize to Dallas.  Locate, then apologize, find, then say sorry.  Stepping around the corner, I realized this might be harder than I planned.  Almost the whole school showed up.  I turned back to the Joel’s car.  Breton and Peter appeared to be arguing about something.  Crossing my fingers, I stepped out of their line of sight and began scanning the crowd for Dallas.  

I weaved my way in and out, between groups of people who hated me and those who didn’t care.  No one noticed I was there, but it was only a matter of time before I was even more publicly shunned by my classmates.  Finally, I spotted the back of Dallas’ head near the edge of the crowd.  He stood in the shade, and seemed to be talking to someone.  I walked closer, hoping it really was Dallas and I wasn’t walking towards some stranger.

“Dallas?” I spoke as I drew near.  “Is that you?”  No response.  I tip-toed closer, cautiously peering around the back of his head to see his face.  It was Dallas.  And Lucas.  In very close proximity.  Kissing at the back of the school bonfire.

“Called it!” I whispered to myself, fist pumping and dancing in a circle.  “Dallas and Lucas, sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g!  First comes a date, then comes marriage, then the adopted baby in a baby carriage!”

“Georgie?”  Dallas had apparently heard me.  Dang.  Lucas said several bad words and spun around, like he was looking for somewhere to hide.

“Hi….” I drew out the word, waving awkwardly at the couple.  “How are you?  Lucas, nice to see you!”  I trailed off when they both looked at me like I was crazy.  I get that a lot.

“What are you even doing here?” Lucas asked sharply.

“Oh!  Dallas, I came to apologize.  Even though it was unfortunate timing combined with my big mouth that let out your secret, so really it was all bad luck, I could have prevented it.  I shouldn’t have said anything.  I’m really sorry I was such a bad friend, and if you’re not super mad, I’d like to continue being your friend.  A better one.”

Dallas looked at me for the longest time.  Then he opened his arms and gave me a hug.  “Georgie darling, you’re just too cute to stay mad at.”

I hugged him back.  “Thanks Dallas.  Hey Lucas, want to join our group hug?”  

“No,” Lucas refused flatly.  “Get away.”  I jumped away from Dallas at once.

“Sorry, was I interrupting something?  I have really bad timing.  I’ll leave you two alone again.”  Both Dallas and Lucas blushed bright red, then Dallas leaned over and whispered something in Lucas’ ear.  Lucas scowled, then his whole expression softened and he nodded slightly.