Thirty-One

Peter texted me about an hour after school ended.  Breton hadn't attended, and Peter was in detention before school, during lunch, and after school.

From: Ur BFFL Peter

Hey, I'm outside.

To: Ur BFFL Peter

Congratulations

From: Ur BFFL Peter

No, I mean I'm outside your house

To: Ur BFFL Peter

That's not creepy at all

From: Ur BFFL Peter

Just get down here.  We're going on a trip

To: Ur BFFL Peter

Where?

From: Ur BFFL Peter

A place.  Stop being frustrating.  I already spoke to your mom, so you can come.  Let's go, we're going to be late.

To: Ur BFFL Peter

Late for what?

From: Ur BFFL Peter

It's a surprise.  Are you coming or not?

"Mom, I'm going with Peter to wherever Peter's taking me and we'll back at whenever Peter said we'd be back!" I called to my mom, grabbing a sweatshirt and my house keys before running out the door to Peter's car.

"Hello, Georgie," Peter said creepily as I opened the car door and slid inside.  "Glad you could make it."

"If you bring me somewhere to murder me," I warned, "my mom will hunt you down."

"Well, okay then.  I guess I'm using Plan B," he joked.  I glared at him.  "Fine," he sighed.  "I promise I'm not taking you into the woods to murder you and use your dead body to spur Breton into confessing his feelings for you."

"How would that even work?" I wondered.  "If I was dead, what would be the point anymore?"

"Stop ruining all my ideas," Peter groaned.  We'd been driving for about ten minutes, and I had no clue where we were going.

"Can you tell me where we're going yet?" I asked.

"No," he replied.

"Okay," I said.  "I can wait, I guess.  If I use up all of my will power."

"Why don't you text Breton and see if he's ready," suggested Peter, glancing at me.

I shrugged, taking out my phone and texting Breton.

To: Breton

Peter told me to text you and ask if you are ready

From: Breton

Ask him how long

"He wants to know how long," I informed Peter.  "How long until what?"

"Tell him three minutes," Peter said, ignoring my question.

To: Breton

Three minutes.  What's going on?

From: Breton

I'm almost ready

"He says he's almost ready," I read aloud.  Peter nodded.