Thirty-Six

After school, I met Breton in the parking lot as promised, and he drove his beautiful car home, where we then walked over to my house and waited for Dallas and Peter.

“How much do you want to bet Peter will show up in a few minutes,” Breton asked.

“No way.  He has after-school detention,” I challenged, “it will be another half-hour at least.”

The doorbell rang, and Breton raised an eyebrow at me.

“Seriously?” I cried.  “He skipped out on detention?”

I opened the door, and sure enough, there was Peter.

“I skipped out on detention to show up early so I could annoy my cousin,” Peter told me.

“Yeah well, your cousin just got money because you showed up early,” Breton said smugly.

“Why are you guys fighting, anyway?” I wondered as I let Peter in and closed the door.

“We’re not fighting, exactly,” Peter told me.

“It’s just cousinly arguing,” finished Breton.

“About what?”

“He’s mad because he lost our latest video game championship,” Peter laughed.

Breton scowled.  “I was distracted.”

I changed the subject, sensing an argument approaching.  “When do you think Dallas will show up?”

Peter checked his watch and said, “Right about now.”

The doorbell rang and I didn’t even question it, walking over and letting Dallas in.

“Hey, Dallas, come on in,” I invited.

He stepped in with a nod.

“What’s up?” Peter and Breton asked.

“I have a confession,” blurted Dallas, ignoring their greeting.

“Do tell,” chuckled Peter, rubbing his hands together like evil geniuses in movies.

“Your dad wasn’t blackmailing me,” Dallas told him.  “I’ve never had anything to do with your dad.”

I gaped, Breton looked confused, and Peter nodded casually.

“I read George,” Dallas said, “and read about ‘Mr. Scary Voice Man’, and how you told Georgie all about when you and Breton worked for him.  I thought it seemed like a good excuse.”

“Hold up!” I shouted.  “Why are you just telling me this now?  I thought you were all good!  I thought your life was fine, aside from moving across the country to be with your fairy cousin.  Your parents accepted you, your grades are great, I figured maybe Mr. Joel was bothering you a little and encouraged you to quit!  Now suddenly it’s more complicated than that?”

“My parents didn’t accept me,” Dallas mumbled.

“Are you kidding me?!  You could have brought this up sooner, Dallas!  Uuuggghhh,” I groaned, stomping out of the room and coming back in with George and a pen.  “Talk amongst yourselves and resolve any issues you might have left.  I’m going to angry write.”

I threw myself onto the floor, uncapped the pen, shook my head, and began to write.

Day 45 has been stressful, George.  Really stressful.  Breton was grouchy earlier because he didn’t sleep, and is still angry with Peter because Peter beat him in video games.  Dallas’ life is a lie.  Peter has bad timing, and I need to rant to someone, but I’m not about to yell at my boys again.  I’ve accepted their stupidity and am moving on.  I just…asdjkheghjoigfbpjofiofbejpfikdjfgrin!!!!!!!!  Like, what the heck?!?!?