Thirty-Five

“Today’s the day!” Peter shouted through the school hallways the morning of day forty-five.

“Already?” Dallas asked.  Lucas, by his side, seemed confused.

“It’s been forty-five days by my count,” Peter affirmed.

“Georgie, how’s it feel?” Dallas asked as I walked past them.

“Weird,” I commented.  “It feels weird.”

“Hey girlfriend,” Breton said, placing his arm across my shoulders as I reached my locker.

“Today’s the day,” Peter told his cousin.  The boys had followed me down the hall, apparently, and now we were gathered around my locker.

“Wow,” remarked Breton.  “That came fast.”

“You didn’t even know about it for the first week or so,” Dallas pointed out.

“Don’t kill my buzz,” Breton retorted.

“Hey Georgie,” Dallas told me, turning his back to my boyfriend, “Lucas has a doctor’s appointment this afternoon, and I was wondering if I could come over and hang out at your house?”

“Yeah, sure!” I told him happily.  “Breton’s coming over too, so we can all do something together.”

“Ooh, can I come?” Peter begged.  “Please?”

“No,” Breton and Dallas both said.

“Yes,” I told him at the same time, then looked at the two boys.  “It’s my house.  You don’t get to choose who comes over.”

“But I don’t want him there!” Breton whined.

“Deal with it, yo,” Peter and I told him simultaneously.  

“Jinx!” I cried.  “You can’t talk until I say your name!”

“Quick, get me some duct tape,” Breton demanded Lucas.  “We have to tape her mouth shut so she can never say his name.”

“Why tape my mouth shut?  Why not Peter’s mouth?” I wanted to know.

“Haha!  You said my name!” shouted Peter.

“Are you sure you’re all seniors?” Mr. Toms asked, sticking his head out his classroom door, which we had passed without me noticing.

“No, sir, I’m not sure,” Peter remarked.  “Maybe you can help me?”

Mr. Toms shook his head with a smile and retreated back to his classroom.

“We’ll see you guys later,” Dallas told us.  “Lucas and I have to get to class.”

“See ya,” said Lucas as they walked away.

“Bye,” Breton, Peter, and I called.

“So, I’ll see you at your house after school, Georgie?” Peter checked.

“Yup,” I nodded.

“Whyyy?” moaned Breton.  Peter and I ignored him.

“See you at lunch, then,” my friend said, turning to walk away.  “See you later Breton!”

Breton groaned.

“What’s with you?” I asked.  “Do you suddenly not like your cousin?”

“Not right now I don’t,” he pouted.

“You’ll get over it,” I shrugged.  “I’ve got to get to class.  Love ya, bye!” I kissed his cheek before walking down the hallway away from him.