The Adoption

Nick Fury sat there staring at it. Among two of his best agents, gunned down in the capturing of a Hydra base, their DNA and lifeblood now only carried through this small vessel and its squishy components. It turned in its unconscious state and Fury wondered how some of his best agents and himself could have developed from the same state as this sapling. He also wondered who on God's earth would want to have such an irritation in their lives.

He didn't hear her until she purposely made her steps loud. 'So is the plan to stare at the kid all day, or are we going to do something with him'. Natasha's voice had gone sterile, as though this being was a mission to complete and to check off the list. 'The Parkers has plans for him', Fury's voice wary from the mission, even though successful, it costed too much, no billions could pay them back.

Clint was definitely not as smooth as Natasha as the door made a whooping BANG behind him. 'Hey Clint' said Fury in his 'aggravated but doesn't have the energy to be mad' voice. 'Is that Peter Parker?' questioned Clint although he already knew the answer. 'What's the deal with him, what's happening now?' 'They have no living relatives, they also mentioned something in their will'. 

Natasha slipped the paper off the table and Clint, reading over her shoulder, read it out loud. 'Peter shall be taken care of by an agent, partner or operative of SHIELD. Why?' 'The child can't be safer than in the hands of people trained in safety.' Fury quickly summarised.
Clint walked over to the bundle as it slowly awoke from it's slumber. Peter's face was so round and chubby, and his brown eyes pretty much popped out of his face.  He yawned and stared up to Clint, eyes filled with wonder and amazement. 'You know, I could ta-'.'No', Natasha interrupted.

'What do you mean 'No'?'

'We're agents Clint. We go on missions every week and are sometimes gone for a month or more. You won't have time to raise another child, plus you can't put that pressure on Laura right now.'

Clint sighed in defeat and turned to Fury. 'I'm guessing you had someone in mind.'

'Well..' Fury begun, 'We need someone we know well, who will be present most of the time and also is financial stable.'

Natasha clocked it and smiled, 'then there's only one pair of men for the job.'

Clint turned in confusion to Natasha, 'Who?'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'No' said Stark. 'Ton.' Natasha started, quickly interrupted by another of Tony's No's.

The Avengers tower's main room was empty apart from Natasha, Clint and Tony. Bruce was in the lab, Steve was in the gym, nobody can ever work out why a scientifically modified human needs to go to the gym, but they never have asked him. And Thor was on Asgard. It had been getting dark and they hadn't bothered to switch on the lights. The dim light almost made the tension visible it was so thick and poignant in the air.

'Have you seen the child?' queried Natasha, her inquisitive infamous eyebrow raise knowing how to convince Tony. Tony is the kind of guy with a facade of a cold heart but his ice is quickly melted.

'No, and I don't want to see it'.

'Him.' Clint quickly corrected.

Natasha's trick was a low blow but effective, like a crouch shot. 'Have you asked Steve?'. Tony has known about this adoption for 3 days. Clint and Natasha had gotten off missions to mind Peter. Let's just say he stole their hearts faster than Hawkeye's arrows.

'You know what Steve would say and he would not think of the consequences or the future or anything with that big heart of his.' Tony's frustration was building. Steve and him had been thinking of adoption as a far off idea in the future, not a decision of today.

A blonde, well groomed and shaved head popped out from around the corner. He smiled one of his big cheesy grins at them. 'I heard my name on the way to bed, what's up?'

'The Roof'. Butted in Clint instinctively. That was greeted by a sudden and quick blow to the stomach by the infamous Black Widow.

Tony stared at Natasha, speaking with his eyes that if you tell him, he will grab his suit and kill her.

Steve quickly snapped his neck towards Tony and then turned his head towards Natasha. 'What is he not telling me?'

Natasha's smile at Tony was that of a malicious intent, of someone clearly knowing what's going to happen next and is already enjoying the chaos. 'Tony was offer to adopt a now orphaned SHIELD agents' child.'

Steve's eyes grew out of his head out the prospect. 'Yes'

'Steve, we have to think about -'

Natasha quickly butted in, 'You've had three days to think about it.'

'WHAT! You've known about this for THREE DAYS and haven't told me?!?'

'Well, you see, I know how you were going to react and this is a big decisi-'

'We can take care of the child.'

'Steve can we at least discuss?'

'Ok, fine'

Tony eyed Nat and Clint what had been attentively listening in. 'Alone.'

Natasha rolled her eyes, 'fine.' Clint shook his head, 'Nope, I'm not leaving, this is important.'

Natasha removed Clint's hearing aid so smoothly he almost didn't notice. 'Hey, I need that!'

She turned to look him directly in the eye so he could lip read.'I know.' She quickly slid it into her pocket and Clint decided it was best not to argue with the Black Widow. She nodded at him in the direction of the gym and training camps and they left without a word.

'I happen to know Natasha hasn't left that door.'

'Tell me something I don't know babe'. They silently agreed that the master assassin could hear the conversation if it meant not getting on the wrong side of her.

Steve decided to cut the tension and start the conversation. 'So this child...'

'It's a huge ask of both of us, we are busy and away and ....'

'Children can help that, Tony'

'How? They are the embodiment of stress.'

'And love and affection. Plus we aren't on this mission alone. We have all the avengers and good friends. Heck, we have the advantage of having two parents.'

'Yeah, but moms have special child caring powers.'

Steve look at Tony was that of disbelief and of slight disgust that his smartass boyfriend could ever believe such BS.

Tony just looked at Steve and knew.

'I can't believe we are doing this.'