Chapter Two - Present day

Present day
Sherlock's POV
"I can't believe you have dragged me away from London to come here." I sigh looking over at John in the cab.

"New York isn't that bad." Laughs John smirking at me.

"I don't need a holiday. I need to focus."

"Good thing I know that. I have a friend in the NYPD we aren't just going to sit around. There will be a case or two but I need a holiday that's the point." Laughs John looking at me with a knowing look in his eye.

"Don't get to excited just because that funny little brain knows something."

"Don't be jealous Sherlock you can one day have friends like I do."

"How do you do that?" I breathe quietly looking at John

"What?" He asks confused.

"You just turned that around. You don't let all the horrible things I say get to you."

"Just because you have a defence mechanism in place doesn't mean it always works. I understand, that's how."

At that we both look out the window as we arrive at our destination. I immediately check the surrounding streets. It seems to be a quiet block for the streets of New York, our hotel is a few buildings up from the corner. On the corner across the road a small antique shop catches my eye.

"What friend anyway?" I ask standing on the sidewalk as John pulls our bags from the cab.

"His names Hanson, met him awhile back. Now don't just stand there you can see I need help ass."

"Is that him?" I ask ignoring Johns glance at me as I don't help grab our bags.

"What?" John turns his head to see the car pull up at the antique shop and a man get out, "yeah, how? What? How could you know that?"

"John are you coming?" I say crossing the road as I hear John mutter under his breathe and shove the bags in the direction of the hotel.

"You must be detective Hanson," I say my hand out to shake the confused detective.

"Well yes, how did you.." he trails off shaking my hand.

"Sherlock."

"Ahh so that's you, I just got here to pick up my partner to go to a crime scene."

"Hanson so sorry, he didn't mean to disturb you." Says John running over.

"No worries John, I'm sure he's nothing compared to the morbid history buff." Laughs the detective nodding to the shop.

"I don't think you know who you're talking about." I say barging through the shops door.

"Sherlock!" Sighs John, him and Hanson following suit.

"Sorry we're closed." Smiles the guy sitting on the couch.

"Good, there's a murder I was hoping you guys wanted to check out." Hanson smiles, "this is Sherlock and my friend John."

"Who are you?" I ask at the guy sitting on the couch.

"Sherlock can't you just pretend to be nice once." John says exasperated.