Ch. 45 | You Can Run

I see something in you, I know that it's crazy 'cause girl I just met you

But we joining forces 'cause that would be gorgeous, no girl, I won't let up

I just rolled the dice so no more thinkin' twice, destiny she won't fail us

If you feel what I feel can you just keep it real

Baby, it ain't no pressure

Glock Six

-6lack

Aiden swerved into the car park of the diner and sprung out of the car before it had even come to a complete halt. He bolted down the narrow alleyway on the side of the restaurant, where he'd last left her, hoping to see a coil of candy pink hair, praying that Mighty's technologically enhanced iWatch on his wrist was wrong.

"Ava-Marie?" he called into the still of the night when he saw no signs of her. He gritted his teeth and looked back at his wrist. The green pulses of his sonar tracker showed Ava miles away, so far that he couldn't estimate how long it would take to track her down.

His heart tremored uncomfortably.

She really was gone.

"Fuck!"

He sprinted back to the car and took off in the opposite direction he was meant to go, back onto the M1, pushing the engine well over the speed limit as he dialled a number into his latest burner phone.

"Mighty?" his breath rushed out of him the moment the ringing stopped.

"Boss, you okay?" Mighty frowned into the receiver. The unfiltered concern in his tone made Aiden clear his throat and take a slow, hushed breath.

"Ava-Marie is missing." He said steadily, "The tracker shows her miles away on the M1. She's moving fast. She has to be in a car. Before I do anything, I need to know what kind of car."

"You think feds got to her?"

"I hope not. Find her coordinates and access the cameras so I know what I'm dealing with."

"I'm on it."

Deft fingers clicked frantic rhythms across the keyboard.

The silence on the line that followed felt like saying goodbye to an old acquaintance, then walking in the same direction and realising that you might have to hold another awkward conversation. "It's just loading now." Mighty filled it.

"Yeah."

More silence.

"The M1 has a lot of cameras, so you know..."

"Yup."

Even more silence.

"Almost done."

Aiden didn't bother to reply. He was tightly wound as it was and this unnecessary small talk with Mighty was only winding him up further. He wanted answers, not idle chit chat.