Ch. 27 | The Only One

Wha'um baby love, ya all right?

Shout out to the readers that spotted me at Notting Hill Carnival last week and told me to update the story haha, you lot are too legit. Big up unnu self! 

 Right, so I had a thought about a scene so I tried a ting and...well I hope you all like it. 

IMPORTANT: As you all should know, I've entered Running Wilde in the Watty Awards in the Urban category and VOTING IS NOW OPEN, so if you love this story and you want it to win, please, please, please take to Twitter and make sure you cast your votes using the hashtag #MyWattysChoice and #Urban, stating the title of the book and a link back to it. Votes and comments on the actual story itself helps too.

So put on your slow jams, light two, two candle, pour yourself a BIG glass of wine and get ready for enjoyment and womb pressure...it's one of THOSE chapters ;)

x

***

I'm here, I'm here

Look into my eyes

And tell me that you're here too

-I'm Your Doll

FKA Twigs

*

Most of the city had laid its head to rest, traffic lights merely transitioned due to sequencing, and with nothing but the moon's unblinking eye watching them, they made the drive back to reality in the dead of night.

Ava was tucked away in the backseat, blindfolded, her wrists bound with a black cable tie and her hood pulled low to hide her famous face and her brilliant hair. Jamie was sound asleep next to her in his car seat, with Trish on the other side, while Aiden sat upfront with Driver. All that could be heard was the baby's light snores, the purr of the engine and the brush of the tires against the tarmac. Aiden didn't want the radio on; it would be too much of a distraction when he had to be on high alert. The streets had been waiting for his return.

For Ava, the silence was deafening and her heart wouldn't stop clattering -she had no idea where they were or how much further there was to go until she was back inside the hostile confines of the Diamond Mafia's compound, with the possibility of escape even more miniscule than it was at Aiden's suburban hideaway. Every time the car came to a stop, she tensed. Although it was only to move her from point A to point B, it was nice to be outside again. She'd missed the bite of the British breeze on her skin and the starless nights filled with echoes of engines and fleeting conversations. She missed being free and she knew that for now, being restrained in the back of the SUV was as close to it as she was going to get until a miracle happened.

The car came to a stop, the engine cut off and her heart jumped into her throat. Trish got out and unbuckled Jamie, taking care not to wake him lest she be prepared to be up all night trying to get him to go back to sleep again. 

Aiden took care of Ava. He guided her out of the car and looked up at the unassuming grey building in the middle of the warehouse district –his precious compound, the life he thought he could run from. Looking at it now, he realised how foolish a dream it had been for him to think he could just up and leave like that. He was the king and this was his castle, hidden in plain sight on the outskirts of his hard won underground kingdom. South London. This was DM territory, it belonged to him, and he to it. He'd spent many years accruing his turf by any means necessary, and now it embarrassed him that he'd been so willing to throw it away just because he was sad. Everybody was sad over something, over someone, so that wasn't reason enough for him to give up the way he had.