Ch. 22 | Love Stories

Guess who's posting on time, Aven Addicts? *grins and points to self*

I hope you're all good. I'm not gonna talk too much. Read and enjoy (but also, please VOTE, COMMENT, SHARE and use the #RunningWilde hashtag on Twitter ^-^).

***

'Cause we both wanted to do this

But I could tell that you were scared

'Cause you thought there was more to us

But you knew how this would end

It's gonna end how you expected

Girl you're such a masochist

-Echoes of Silence

The Weeknd

Aiden rapped his knuckles against the door, sending dull vibrations down Ava's back. She hadn't moved from her spot on the floor, not entirely sure of what good it would do if someone tried to force their way in, but knowing that she had a better chance of hearing someone coming if she sat there, eased her mind a little more. Neither she nor Aiden had heard Dougie break into the house. His dislike of her being alive put Ava more on edge than she was to begin with, but her nerves eased a little when she heard a pair of boots beating a slow, steady rhythm against the floorboards as they approached. She knew it was Aiden. She could picture the way he swaggered as he walked; his warrior-like quality making him stand tall with his broad chest puffed out, as his hips dropped and switched in his cool thug style.

Aiden came across like he was two people at once; the nouveau riche business man built on top of a Brixton foundation -a refined gangster. He could pull off the eloquence of a gentleman, but no matter how many airs and graces he displayed, the hood was always in the undertones of everything he said and did. She wondered if he minded; if this was the best he could do or if he was still developing himself.

"Ava-Marie," he called as he twisted the door handle. Ava scrambled to her feet and moved to the other side of the room. As the door opened, she peered around Aiden to see if he was alone.

"He's gone," Aiden confirmed.

"Oh, thank God!" Ava released a breath that she never knew she was holding and pressed her hand to her chest, "And to think, I thought you were scary."

Aiden regarded the way her muscles unwound with the knowledge that Dougie was gone. He lips formed a line and he cocked his head to the side, "He scares you more?"

Ava opened her mouth to say yes then reconsidered. Although he wasn't posing an immediate threat, there was something a little more sinister about Aiden than his lieutenant. Dougie was more black and white with his need to kill. He applied logic, killing only as a means to an end so that the odds were ever in favour of himself and the Diamond Mafia. It was his job. Aiden wasn't that level headed. He was too passionate. Even as he stood waiting for her answer, his dark eyes devoured her, as if he wanted nothing more than to do it for real...

She inched back some more, "No."

The corners of his lips lifted, amused that she understood that just because Dougie wanted her dead and he wanted her alive, that it didn't make him any less dangerous.

He extended his hand to her, "You should eat something."

Ava put her hands behind her back, out of his reach, "I'm not hungry."