"Sorry, I won't do it again."

   I rolled my eyes. "I didn't say that."

   Ian chuckled and pecked my lips again. "Do you want me to walk you home, Josie Elle? It's getting late."

   "I would love that."

   Ian may have not been my first kiss, yet he was the first to matter. I had a feeling he'd be the only to ever matter. Tonight, I shared my first kiss with Ian Miller, and I knew there would be plenty more to come.

   We climbed down from the tree house — Ian first and me second, in case I fell; it's happened before so now it's a safety precaution that Ian loves to tease me about. Ian called into his house to notify his parents he was going to walk me home before we set off under the pink and purple sunset.

   We didn't define what we were after that kiss; besides the fact we both knew we weren't just friends anymore, not after a kiss like that. Honestly, we didn't even talk about our new proclaimed feelings for each other. Instead, we walked home side-by-side, laughing and teasing each other on our way to my house.

   That walk home was the exact time I fell for my best friend. It was the fact I knew he could still be my best friend and the boy I kissed. I was ready to rule the world with Ian Miller by my side.

~•~

   And apparently everyone saw it coming from day one.

   "So, baby sis, how'd it go? Did you tell him? You two looked pretty normal out there." Leave it to Anthony to stalk me through his window on my walk home with Ian.

   "I told him," I informed him, not entirely sure why I was doing so. I totally expected myself to have this conversation with Kaila before anyone else. Anthony was the person I last expected to talk about my romantic business with Ian. "We kissed." No need to tell my big brother that our kiss was actually a make-out session, though.

   "I take it he likes you back then," he teased, smiling lightly. I'm lucky to have a big brother that isn't entirely focused on protecting me, but more so on ensuring that I'm happy.

   "It appears to be that way," I agreed, nodding. As cheesy as it sounds, I couldn't even help the smile that made its way across my face at the mere thought of Ian and our shared kiss.

   Anthony plopped down on my bed next to me with an oomph. "When did you realize you have feelings for him?"

   "At the beginning of the school year, remember when I went on that date with Adam Tom?" Anthony nodded while grimacing. "Well, after that unsuccessful date, he cancelled his plans, got me ice cream, and stayed up all night in the tree house watching movies with me."

   He did exactly what any best friend would do, yet it's the action that made me realize I can't keep looking for this perfect boy when I've already got him as my best friend.

   I remember that night as clear as day — the one where I went out on a date with Adam. He took me out to the movies and the first thing he did when we sat down was try and get in my pants. It was quite the disappointment seeing as I was going on a date with a junior that I really thought I liked. Naturally, I took off upset and crying, right to Ian's doorstep.
   He was in a pair of khaki shorts and red t-shirt. He came to the door before I even knocked because he was on his way to leave for a party with Mason and Noah. However, when he saw me all emotional and distraught, he cancelled on his boys and pulled me straight to the treehouse, no questions asked. He brought me back an ice cream carton with two spoons and a whole box full of DVDs to watch.
   The entire time, he never even asked what went wrong. He waited until I was ready to tell him myself.

   "He's a good guy, Josie. There's no one better for you than him," Anthony told me as he stood up. He ruffled my hair then kissed the top of my head. "Night, sis."

   Anthony had one foot out the door before he turned and added, "but the rules still apply to him. If he breaks my baby sister's heart, I've got to break his face." Though I know Anthony can be intimidating when he wants to be, it was hard to feel threatened by him with his lanky build and overall chill composure.

   "Love you, Anth."

   "Love you, too, Jos."

   After Anthony shut the door behind him, I turned the lamp off next to me, but before I closed my eyes to fall asleep, I checked my phone for texts.

   Just as I was hoping, I'd received a few from Ian.

Ian Miller [9:20]: tomorrow after school we can talk things through.
Ian Miller [9:23]: I cant stop thinking about our kiss. I'm so glad I finally got to tell you how I feel.
Ian Miller [9:27]: I'm the luckiest guy in the world to be able to call you my best friend.
Ian Miller [9:27]: and who knows? Maybe something more?
Ian Miller [9:34]: Goodnight Josie Elle <3
Josie Pappstein [9:38]: Goodnight E. See you tomorrow, can't wait. <3

   Truly, there is no one better than Ian Miller. Out of anyone in our school, in our city, in our county, Ian Miller is going to change the world. He's going to do something with his life that matters.

   I may only be 16, but if there's one thing I know for sure, it's that Ian Miller is one of the good guys.

•••

Another update!
Today, I attended my first wedding, my uncle's, and it was fun! I definitely have wedding fever now though...like wow, just imagine this.
You're the age you want to get married at with your dream man. He's everything you've spent all your years looking for and more. Your family loves him, your friends love him, you love him.... he brings so much joy into your life. You can't wait to live together and start a family together. LIKE WOW. Count me IN!

Anyway, I hope you all had a good week. School's tough, but make the most of it. Sure I hate going, but I'm a senior and this is my last time doing everything with the people I love...wish I cherished it more.

Don't forget to...
Vote
Comment
Follow
Share
Check out my other stories!

- Emily