Flower

Shinki stood alone in the middle of his garden, staring at the flowerbed in front of him. His gaze was absent; nothing seemed to attract his attention today, not the architecture nor the design of the Kazekage's sumptuous palace. Gaara had three adoptive kids, Shinki, Araya, and Yodo. He couldn't see them as often as he wanted; that was the sacrifice required to hold that respected title. He wanted to make sure each one of them was treated like princes, that was the least he could do. Gaara knew how much Shinki loved gardening, so this huge place was all his.

     The sun was burning as usual on Sunagakure, making Shinki's garden look like a heavenly oasis. He stared at the flowers he had recently planted. Ranunculus asiaticus, they were especially beautiful in his eyes. The petals had a slight orange hue; they appeared really delicate but he knew how robust they were. The scent was pleasant and somehow captivating.

     Lately, he couldn't stop staring at them. That same absent air gave the impression that he was absorbed by the sight of simple flowers, but what was on his mind was much different. He was thinking of something, or rather someone. He didn't dare to pronounce her name; it was still something that seemed irrational to him. His eyes widened slightly when a butterfly gently rested on the orange flower. He was taken aback. He couldn't stop his heart from beating faster all of a sudden.

 He couldn't stop his heart from beating faster all of a sudden

           It was starting again. He couldn't understand why... how the thought of this person could disturb his heartbeat in such an effortlessly way. He noticed that one particular feeling when he came back from Konoha. When the Chunin exam was over.

          To be defeated by Boruto was already hard enough regarding his pride, but having to deal with unnecessary feelings even now... He sometimes would let escape a swear when thinking about it. It had been a long time since he lost that fight and he wasn't going to forget about that purple lightening anytime soon. He knew the Hokage's son cheated, Boruto eventually apologized to him when all the troubles caused by the named Momoshiki got taking cared of, but something was still annoying Shinki.

          He wanted to be as brave as Boruto. He knew he couldn't win against those people. His father prohibited him from trying anything against them at that moment, but if he were to be honest he knew he wasn't strong enough to stand the slightest chance, but Boruto went with no hesitation. All these thoughts and feelings were upsetting him even several months later. He was so ashamed. He had to think about all of it, over and over again. Then her words started to come across his mind.

          The girl with the golden eyes... her skin was as dark as the sand of Suna, her long orange hair, he still remembered how they were widely floating in the air while his iron sand was lifting her heavy body during their fight. She knew she had no chance to win against him, and yet she tried until the very end. The poor thing couldn't even stand at the end of their fight.

- You never know unless you give it a try...

            He whispered to himself as he attempted to reach the butterfly with his finger, but the little thing flew away before he could.

- Beautiful butterfly.

            Guess pretending that he was complimenting that one butterfly was easier than saying out loud that he found that girl from Konoha pretty.

            He found her truly gorgeous, he finally admitted it to himself.

            Especially when she had those sparkles in her eyes while getting serious in the battle. That fierceness when she stared at him during their fight...

 That fierceness when she stared at him during their fight

- Shinki! Are you still talking to your flowers?

           A blond-haired girl was standing next to the door leading to the garden. She had earphones on, the sound of her music could be heard from a certain distance. Yodo was making fun of her brother Shinki, she always found it cute to watch that delicate side of him hidden behind a cold and serious face. He always came here to meditate on things, and she never knew which ones.

- We must be at the train station at 6pm. Uncle Kankuro is coming along with us, and he doesn't want us to be late.

- Tell that to Araya. You know, I'm never late.

- Yeah, I know. I'm just telling you cuz he told me to.

- I see.

- It's auntie Temari who will take us at the train station when we arrive at Konoha. She'll be pissed if we are late, and I think that's why uncle Kankuro is stressed out.

            They were going to spend some days at Konoha, not for a mission, or anything related to their shinobi life, but to visit their aunt's family and spend time with Shikadai and make friends. This time, no competition involved. Gaara took that decision a week ago. He realized that they seriously needed to socialize.

            Araya was so shy that he could hardly stand a conversation with anyone, Yodo spent all her time listening to whatever was passing through her earphones and Shinki... His gaze and his attitude would give him a hard time making friends.

           Gaara knew the importance of having friends, and treating them with respect and love, he had to teach the way to his kids.

- It's a waste of time.

           Shinki pronounced those few words as he left the garden

           Shinki pronounced those few words as he left the garden. He would rather spend those days training than wasting his time in Konoha. His cousin, Shikadai, was smart he had to admit it, but nothing more special than that. It was a shame that Yodo lost for a pity trick. And all of Shikadai's friends were the same to him. Even that girl... at the end of the day, she was still weaker than him.

           He just couldn't bring himself to understand his father's decision.