Chapter 4: A Rouge's Life

Comenzar desde el principio

Kalec: (Narrating) "No matter how much essentials you bring with you on your journey in Ashfeld, those can only do so much. In other words, they are never enough."

Kalec: "Really now? You're more worried about the armor and the sword being dirtied rather than me?" He says to his wife playfully as he fixes the last of the satchels that he will be bringing onto the horse he is given.

Seren (Lorderius) chuckles lightly on her husband's reply. She walks towards him, her armor clicking as she takes a step. Kalec turns around from the horse to face her.

Seren: "*chuckles* Of course. We are paying our blacksmiths after all." She jokes as they hold each other.

Kalec: "Haha! I suppose so." He replies with a hearty laugh.

They then share a kiss; something that they never felt in a long time since the husband's 'death' years ago. The kiss made their hearts flutter again like it was when they were younger.

Xavier: "I would say that you two should get a room, but I suppose it can't be helped." Their younger son comments as he holds his poleaxe with one hand.

The couple breaks the kiss and the three of them share a laugh. Kalec opens his arm to both of them as an invitation for a family hug, which they both accept happily.

Seren: "Come back alive with (Argen). Promise us that."

Kalec: "But of course, my love. We'll make sure that we'll end Ashfeld's suffering."

Seren: "Hah. You three are all the same; so ambitious yet so honourable. No wonder I fell for you when we fought for our factions for a few years."

Xavier: "So that means I'm going to find someone soon, eh?"

Kalec: "Ha! Soon enough, son. Soon enough." He replies to his son. They break the hug and he mounts his borrowed horse, clad in the aforementioned new armor and the scabbard with his new longsword.

Xavier: "Hey father. Make sure to give (Argen) our warm greetings."

Kalec: "Consider it done. Goodbye, Xavier, Seren."

Seren: "Goodbye, Kalec. Safe travels."

- Present day, Kalec's POV... -

It would be an understatement to say that it was hard for me to leave my family after just a brief reunion. But at least I can rest easy knowing that they are safe, with my son leading a protective force he himself assembled, no less. Right now, I have to make sure that none of my family will succumb to the temptations of power that Apollyon offers. That of course means my eldest son, (Argen).

But returning back to the earlier topic; being a rouge Knight. These, mercenaries, freelancers, assassins, whatever you may call them are over-glorified in the books that are written. Some of the books even show that they are far more effective than the standing military power in a particular setting.

But it is not that easy.

While the authors have their reasons (let's say, for the plot and such), but the 'rouge characters' usually end up unreasonably effective in all aspects, most commonly through combat skills.

Most authors don't consider what these characters have to go through on a daily basis. And that means survival. First of all, shelter; not a lot of people in Ashfeld see us as actual people. They'd usually think of us as savages with only think of the profits that we can get, thus, not all villages will be welcoming for us. That is, unless you have done something good and significant for them...