CH 2 - The Orchard Ghost

I waited for the lecture, the punishment that was no doubt in store. I sat on my cot until Alon sunk so low past the horizon that I could see him being swallowed up. All the while, there were no footsteps that ascended up to my room.

Hunger from not eating all day almost broke me to leave the room, but I wasn't going out there until Alastair made his appearance.

He never did.

Eventually, I drifted off again, my stomach howling like a rabid dog with my brain as its frothing mouth.

Alastair's veiny hands shook my shoulder, roughly. "Salem, wake up. Come on, now."

Blearily, I cracked one eye and glared at him. The darkness in the room, told me how late it was. "Finallyy decided to seee me?" I burbled.

"Get up." Alastair moved out of my line of vision.

I debated whether or not to ignore him, but then I heard the creak of my dresser drawer. I rolled over, sat up and opened both eyes to get hit in the face with two folded sets of trousers and shirts.

"Pack one and put on the other." Alastair left the room.

I pulled the clothing off of my head and hissed. What was this? What was he doing? There had been no moral speech, just a blunt command.

The sky outside had faint tinges of gray and pale streaks of blue that said it was morning. Obnoxiously early morning.

I groaned and again contemplated going back to bed, but if I didn't do as he said, Alastair would be back.

My clothes from the day before were a wrinkled mess since I'd slept in them. I didn't change, but did stuff the outfits into a bag before slinging it over my shoulder and descending the stairs.

Alastair wasn't in any of the rooms. I found him outside, hooking his two horses up to his wagon.

"Where are we going?" I went over to the dappled mare, who snorted at me, turning her head, her tail swishing dramatically. Animals didn't like me either. I flicked her ear.

"Away," Alastair said. "We need to get out for a while, I think." He heaved up a large trunk that I knew had to be filled with his books, and placed them down in the back and pulled a mottled tarp over it. He climbed aboard and took a seat.

'Away.' A stone sunk low in my stomach. Why? Had Vonet died in the night? Were his parents going to send the peacekeepers after us?

Alastair tapped the wooden bench he sat on to get my attention. I closed my eyes tight and bowed my head. I was a bit more compliant when I was tired, that was all. The old man knew me too well. That's why he did this. I could refuse. I could shout and scream, waking up those that lived at least a mile out.

I raised my head again, opened my eyes, and rolled them for Alastair to see before I swung myself up and dropped my sack in the back with his trunk.

Alastair flicked the reins and steered the horses around and up the path, into the sleepy city. Very little bustle was roused at this hour. Occasional flickers of movement from the homeless, were all I saw. But I did realize something.

"We're heading to the castle," I stated. We'd reached the main road that led right up to the enormous estate.

Alastair bobbed his head.

I wrapped my arms around myself as the cold bitter air of the morning cut through my rumpled shirt.

We entered the main courtyard where everything had gone down yesterday. I refused to look at the place Travis had been lying when I'd seen him last.