Betrayal

The time spent in Asgard brought some changes in the raven-haired prince's mood and state. The new air and the distance from all the reminders of his pain did him good. It lifted the dark, heavy clouds from his mind, though his heart remained wounded and broken. There was no way to cure the void in his heart, but with a clear head, he could continue his research in the Asgardian library. That was his only chance now to get you back and to ease his feeling of emptiness inside. He needed his other half to work properly. Without you, he was just the fallen prince of Asgard, left all alone in a pointless world.

The library of the royal family was one of the most magnificent places in the Nine Realms. Golden rays of sunshine flowed through the windows, filling the place with sparkling light. Its huge, golden shelves rose high up from the marble tiled floor to the ceiling like Yggdrasil itself. They formed huge corridors, like a labyrinth for those who seek knowledge or entertainment. The shelves contained different books from all over the known worlds, written in many languages. The scent of old paper and pergamens filled the air. Among the endless sea of books, small islands of armchairs and tables were waiting for those who wanted to settle down with their treasured books.

Many of the books were full of magic and spells, but only for those who understood the ancient Runes. Fortunately, the God of Mischief was one of them. Originally, he was looking for locating spells, but in the meantime, a small, deep blue book caught his eyes. The cover said 'All you ever need to know about dreams. - their meaning, manipulation, travelling and more'. The words 'travelling and more' fired up his interest. He settled down with that strange book, which turned out to be a long-forgotten spellbook of the Vanir. It contained a complex ritual, which could help one visit another person in his or her sleep. It nested itself in the demigod's mind, leaving him restless to try it out. Maybe he could finally see you. He hid the small book under his clothes and rushed back to his chamber. He wanted to try it out at first before telling anyone. He wasn't sure if it would succeed, and he didn't want the others to get their hopes high.

In the evening, before falling asleep, he cast the spell on himself as the book told. At the moment he didn't feel any changes, but as he fell asleep, he drifted away to a far land, a dark place where he's been to earlier. Suddenly he found himself among raging flames on a burning training field. And in the centre of this madness there you were. You were only a weak shadow of yourself: so thin your bones almost poked through your skin, your whole body was covered in bruises and scars, and your eyes were filled with rage, confusion, fear and a hint of madness.

He wanted to pull you close, to protect you, but he couldn't touch you. But he could talk to you. He wanted to know your location, but you were so confused and sad, he couldn't question you. You were so vulnerable and lonely, he wanted to stay and comfort you, but the spell took him back to reality. After the heartbreaking conversation with you, he woke up in his bed at home again. The spell worked. He was sure that it was no ordinary dream. He really saw you, and really talked to you. It was all real. You were so tortured and broken. They filled your head with lies like you were a monster made to ruin the world. You were close to giving it all up, to give your mind and hopes up. He couldn't let that happen, and he had a really bad feeling that he saw you for the last time.

Loki decided to visit you every night in your dreams, so together the two of you could find a way out. His heart was pounding with desire to see you again and to push the clouds away from your heart. You were slowly losing yourself, and every day counted in the fight. The next night he fell asleep on pins and needles to see your face and hear your voice again, but his fear became true. Something has happened, and you weren't the same again. As he appeared in your dark cell, your eyes didn't lit up by the sight of him. Instead, they were full of hate and fear. You tried to attack him and wanted to make him disappear. This sudden change of you left him shocked. Just the other day you were crying for him not to leave, and now you acted like you never even knew him. He was trying to calm you down, to tell you how he loved you, but nothing worked. Something snapped in your mind and you gave in. You believed he was the enemy. That he never loved you and what you had back on Earth was just all lies. He couldn't believe that this could happen, he tried to visit a few more times again, but it was useless. It was no longer you. It was too late.