Chapter 8

WAHHHH, WAHHH, WAHHH.

The cries were heard through the door, making everyone perk up from their separate mind-scapes.

Those cries sounded like, baby cries!

Shiro was the first to get up and run through the door, the others tailing right behind him. When the door slid open, the team gasps.

Right there in 2 small bassinets were the twins everyone hoped for. Lance had already cleaned them up and Allura wrapped them in different colored blankets, one in blue and one in pink. The bassinet was basically a mini healing pod. Coran had them set up to check if all the babies' vitals are normal. With the premature birth, the stats weren't as strong as they had hoped, but the wailing made Shiro feel somewhat assured that they'll be okay.

He walked over to the small children, tears forming at the corner of his eyes. "These...These are my-"

"Shiro," Allura interrupted, gesturing to each of the pods as she spoke. "Meet your son, and your daughter."

"They're... beautiful."

Both babies looks exactly like one another. They both had pale skin and Shiro's black hair, and Pidge's chestnut colored eyes, the only difference was that the girl had Pidge's freckles aligned on her cheeks and the bridge of her nose.

Oh no. Pidge! Shiro turned his head away from the children and looked at where his love laid on the small wheeled bed. Lance stood beside her, his hands and shirt covered in blood. The towels too, and Pidge's dress that laid on the ground.

She was cleaned up and bandaged, she also slimmed down significantly with the babies out of her. A blanket covered her body as she was dressed in a white t-shirt and pants. The girl was pale and looked so sickly you'd think she was on her death bed. And in a way she kind of was.

The stress from a c-section during a preterm period can be hard on the body, especially since her physique was already small and thin to begin with.

Shiro went to her and grabbed her hand. Allura quickly spoke before he had a chance to say anything.

"The toll her body took was great. She needs time to heal..."

"But, she'll be okay right? She'll wake up soon.."

Allura at this point said nothing. When the leader looked towards Lance and Coran, they too were silent. None of them unable to speak the truth.

"Her vitals are extremely low.." Coran finally answered. "She's frail and extremely weak, theres a very good chance that she'll make it however... there is another chance, that she might not.."

His eyes widen. His whole world shook as he collapsed into a nearby chair. "But..But she has to be okay."

"Isn't there anything we can do?" Keith asked hopefully.

"Sorry guys, but for something like this -we're limited on options." Lance said.

"Why not just put her in a healing pod? It can fix her right up. Right?" Hunk suggested.

"I'm afraid not," Coran answered. "Her state is too weak to handle the energy the cry-pods emit during the healing process. We could end up hurting her more than helping her.

"All we could do now, is wait."

———

While the others scattered to try and take there minds off of the current situation, Shiro staid behind in the infirmary.

He sat by the mini healing pods that held his 2 sleeping children. He placed his flesh hand on his son's pod and smiled fondly as he watched them sleep.

"You're mother is going to be so happy to see you when she wakes up... We have the nursery ready and everything. You're going to love it." The thought crossed the young man's mind and he turned his head over the the unconscious body only a few feet away from him.

When no stirring or movements came from the girl he turned his attention back to the babies, but the second he turned his head, a faint groan was made. Shiro's eyes widen and he instantly turned back towards Pidge. He rose himself off the chair on instinct and grabbed her hand.

"Pidge...Katie?"

It was a miracle. Shiro saw half of her chestnut eyes, the eyes that taught him so much, the eyes that always showed joy and light, the eyes that he fell in love with months ago.

"Shiro.." Pidge whispered softly, her voice barley a voice and just a low rasp.

"Shhh. It's okay, you're okay."

"Wha-What happened?"

"You went into preterm labor. Luckily Lance knew what to do and saved you."

Pidge looked down as Shiro spoke, noticing her bandages as they were stained with a little blood. She quickly filed with worry as the realization just hit her. A motherly instinct kicked in and all that ran through her head was her kids, gathering all her strength to talk. "Then that means, a-are the babies okay? I was only 6 months they're not fully developed yet, are they-"

"They're fine." Shiro smiled as he pushed Pidge to try to relax. "Coran has them in mini healing pods sleeping. We have a son and a daughter."

Pidge took a breath of relief as she heard the news. A smile slightly showed on her face. "One of each huh? I was sure we were going to have 2 boys."

Shiro chuckled. "Well we only got one.. Coran says they're vitals are a little below normal which I assume is to be expected considering -but he says they'll be perfectly fine. They just have to stay in the pods for a few days."

"So they really are safe. We really lucked out didn't we?"

"Yeah we did. You can see them once you're strong enough, but for now you need rest."

The girl nodded and held his hand. "Thanks for always being there..." She fell asleep after that without another comment, her hand still grasping Shiro's.

"Always."