Chapter 10 - Truth

Toriel told Asgore everything.

About how she had met Sans, how they had drawn close, how he asked her to make a promise to help protect the human, and how she had just learned his true identity minutes ago.

Asgore soaked up all of the information as he sat there, quickly scanning over it inside of his head.

"So," He finally said, "You were friends with the Prince this whole time and just found out... And he's taking care of a human."

"Yes," Toriel said, "That's why I made up that story to figure out what to do, since Prince Sans really cares about the human. Asgore, I know how much you want to get into the Royal Guard, but don't turn in the human."

"But all of the monsters could be free if we did," Asgore said quietly, "We could turn them both in... Become a member of the Royal Guard... Be free..."

"There's always going to be another human falling down," Toriel said, resting a hand on Asgore's arm, "But I already went back on one of my promises by telling you, so please? For me?"

Asgore nodded before hugging her.

"I know it's hard, but it's for the best," Asgore said, "Let's go tell the King the great news."

~~~~~~

"You found him?" Papyrus asked, happiness flooding his voice.

"Yes," Toriel said, "Asgore found out where he's hiding. He decided to look a bit longer than what Undyne said and found his hiding spot. If it wasn't for Asgore, we wouldn't have found him."

"And Toriel managed to convince him we're friends and not threats," Asgore added, "So he trusts her, we can lure him somewhere where he can't run away with the Royal Guard and bring him here."

Papyrus engulfed them into a hug, repeating, "Thank you!" Over and over again.

Toriel didn't feel very happy as Papyrus did. She was going against her promise and telling his brother she had found him.

She felt sick all of the sudden.

"You guys have no idea how happy this makes me," Papyrus said, "I just want to see my brother again, I was so desperate. You guys saying you'd search again gave me hope, b-but I never thought you'd find him. Where is he?"

"Um..." Toriel said, "He's near my post, so what I was thinking was that we could lead him to it and lock him off there by surrounding him. It's the only way to make sure he doesn't run off."

"I'll be there, then," Papyrus said firmly.

"Actually," Asgore said, "He might recognize your soul, and he'd probably bolt before we have a chance to get him. So, we were thinking of having some Royal Guards hiding until we give the signal."

"That is true," Papyrus said, "Sans can tell when family is nearby, he's always been great at that. I'll stay here, but please don't hurt him. I've already done enough to hurt him."

"Of course," Toriel said quietly.

She felt like a filthy liar.

~~~~~~

Everyone in the Royal Guard was pretty excited about how Asgore had 'found' Sans, even though it was Toriel who actually discovered his location. They all quickly decided where they were going to hide near Toriel's station, where she was going to lead Sans. They had hiding places surrounding it so he couldn't escape, it was rather he fought and they were forced to use binding magic on him, or he surrendered and they bonded him with magic anyway, in case he had any ideas. Of course, if they couldn't land a binding magic on him, they also had a sleeping attack that could hit his soul and make him sleep for an hour. It took a lot of magic, so they were only going to do it if there was no other options.

So, they put their plan into action the next morning.

They royal guard members, including Undyne, hid within the hiding places around her post. Toriel had strict instructions, lead Sans to the post and distract him until he arrived, then they would all jump out and try to convince him to surrender.

And the whole walk to the doors, Toriel didn't feel happy. She felt bad, knowing that she was going to stab him in the back.

But she was already too far, no turning back now.

Not to mention how happy Papyrus looked at the news. He looked like he was going to cry tears of pure happiness. That made Toriel feel a little more confident.

She was going to reunite two brothers, whether one of then liked it or not.

She gulped as he clenched her fists, knocking on the door.

"Knock knock," She said.

"Who's there?" Sans voice came from the other side of the door,

"Dishes,"

"Dishes who?"

"Dishes a bad joke."

Sans laughed as he opened the door, peaking his skull outside and smiling sweetly at Toriel, making her feel only more bad for what she was about to do.

"Ey'a there Toriel," Sans said, "Want to come inside, I can show you around and have you meet with the human."

"Actually, I was wondering if you'd like to go hang out with me at my post," Toriel said, pointing over her shoulder.

"I'm not sure if that's a good idea," Sans said, "What if someone sees me?"

"No one ever comes by my post, it's in a secluded area," Toriel said, "It's surrounded by trees, and you can use your hood to cover your face. We can hang out for a bit before we come back here, I have to stay there so I don't get fired. I wouldn't mind some company."

"If you say no one will be there," Sans said, closing the ruins doors behind him.

Toriel watched with shame as he pulled his hood over his head even further, casting a shadow over his skull, making it almost impossible for anyone to see if he was a skeleton or not. He trusted her completely, he had no idea she had sold him out.

What kind of monster was she?

She walked with him towards her post, half laughing at his puns and making a few lazy ones of her own. When he asked her what was wrong, she blamed it on a headache, one from getting not much sleep last night.

"I love sleep," Sans said, smiling down at her, "Sometimes I even fall asleep standing up or while doing things."

"Huh," Toriel said, keeping her eyesight on her feet as she walked.

"I've fallen asleep in multiple weird places. Once, I was roaming through the fridge while looking for something to eat, and I fell asleep against the open fridge. My little bro had to wake me up."

"Ha, wow..." Toriel muttered, dread shooting throughout her body as she spotted her post.

It was definitely too last to go back now.

"Is that your post?" Sans asked her.

"Yeah, it is," Toriel said, leading him towards it, "I have some joke books in a little department behind it, come look."

"That-"

Sans was interrupted by a loud, "Now!" Which Toriel had yelled herself. He turned to her, wide eyed, but it was already too late. All of the hidden guards had jumped out, surrounding him within a large circle. He had bones summoned in his hands in defense, and he was backing away from Toriel as he glanced around at the ambush.

"Prince Sans," Undyne said, pointing a green spear at him, "You should surrender, or we'll take you back to the King by force."

Sans growled before looking at Toriel, her sad face giving him all of the information he needed.

She lead him into a trap,

It was all her fault.

"I... I trusted you, Toriel," Sans said, his voice wavering as his eye sockets watered.

"I really did trust you."