-Feel the first time, but never let go. [Chapter 24]

Start from the beginning

I felt my heart drop at that point, there was no way I was leaving it like this, I could not wait any longer to see my Ashley, not when she’s apparently in a ‘critical state’ it doesn’t even matter if she can’t speak to me or look at me or whatever, I just need to see her for real, know that she’s going to be okay.

“No, seriously, you don’t understand. She’s my girlfriend and I have to see her.” When she just looked at me with the same bored and blank expression I decided to continue. “I took the first flight out from America and I really can’t wait a matter of hours, if you ask her now, she’ll confirm that I can go and see her, please? You have to let me to see her.”

She didn’t even seem the slightest bit sympathetic, and to be honest, I think I deserved sympathy, surely she should be able to tell how fast my heart is racing right now and I’m literally quite the bit dying to just hold her or see her or something, just anything.

“I’m sorry but I can’t do that, you’re not family…Are you engaged?”

“No.”

I admitted and she shrugged not even seeming surprised by this.

“Well then I’m deeply sorry but I can’t let you have her details until the permission of the patient is-“

“Ask her then!”

“…During visiting hours.”

“What’s going on here?”

A tanned male doctor with some blue disposable gloves on came up behind the receptionist peering to look at the computer screen. The nurse whispered something to him and I just kinda stood there a bit taken aback by this while ordeal, I mean, who wouldn’t be? After they conferred between them the male doctor looked up at me.

“Son, do you really wish to see Miss Dawson right now?”

He asked me and I could already feeling my answer rolling off my tongue.

“Yeah, right now.”

I concluded and he nodded biting his lip.

“Right, okay, Patty, just let the boy go. It won’t do any harm. Just don’t put it on the records, alright?”

Patty was reluctant but she agreed looking up at me and giving a curt nod.

“Fine,” She grumbled. “Take the first lift on the right and she’s on floor one and in room 307.”

She informed me and I thanked them both greatly before darting off down the hallway towards the lift as they just watched me.

The lift couldn’t have been any slower and I found myself impatiently tapping my foot as it passed the floors and then stopped for what seemed like an eternity until the doors opened and I managed to squeeze through a small gap before they even opened properly, causing them to get a bit stuck but it was completely irrelevant as all the room numbers passed in a blur as I jogged down the hallway. But as I saw the digits 307 on the door I suddenly felt like I wanted to throw up again. What if her parents were in there? I couldn’t just walk in, after over a year of not seeing her parents and not knowing what they thought of me, I couldn’t do that. And besides, her Mum clearly doesn’t like me as she advised Ash to end things with me last year, painful times. What if they told me to go? To stay away from their daughter, what would I do then? Ashley wouldn’t let that happen, but they’re her parents, they have power, even if she isn’t a child anymore.

I decided that my fear of what her parents thought or did came underneath my desire to see her right now, and that Ashley and her health was more important than patching up civil friendships or rather understandings between her parents and I. So, shoving my hands into my pockets I swallowed the lump in my throat running an un-easy hand through my hair before reaching the door, I stopped. Un-sure of how this was going to go, was I going to break down with the sight of her again, in a hospital bed, in a critical state? Or was I just going to blank out completely and be unable to show emotion? That seemed un-likely; I always had trouble keeping things inside. Maybe, there was only one way to find out.