“Oh good, she’s up!” She smiles. “Hello sweet heart!”

“Mum?” I look at Logan who smirks and before Mum has made it half way over, Alfie is sliding by her and knocks Logan out of the way as he moves over the bed and into my waiting arms. “Hey pal!”

“My Elise! Safe Elise! Alfie safe!” He mumbles quickly and Mum sets the tray down on the table beside me.

Looking down, I have on Logan’s shirt and I seem to have reclaimed my underwear too and letting Alfie go, Mum has on her ‘this is your fault’ no sympathy face as she takes in what has to be a rather disgraceful appearance.

“You got them to bring me to the Academy?” Logan nods.

“Thought you’d want Alfie nearby and your parents are happy to have you here.” He steals a piece of toast off the tray, “I’ll give you an Alfie a minute.”

Alfie watches him closely as he walks out and the bulk of the snake is now on the bed with me. Mum pushes him over so she can take a seat.

“I can’t believe the only way we get you to visit is when a demon brings your back, drunk may I add with a faint story about you being put under protection, again.” She sighs, and I can see the worry all over her face.

“I’ve been trying to come back, I got Alfie here didn’t I?” I just didn’t know until this point when or how I’d get here.

“Yeah, that was fun. Think you can teach him some new words. Old blood isn’t sitting well with your father.”

I had to laugh at that. “Well Jordan is same blood. He comes up with his own words. Don’t you Alfie?”

“Elise stay with Alfie?”

“Yeah bud, I’m staying.” I want to say for now, but maybe Zane was right and I need a break. I got thrown in the deep end and everything has been happening so quickly.

“I made your favorite chicken soup. From what Logan’s been saying, you two had quite the night. I loved Rome when your father took me! It’s just been hard finding the time to go back.” She goes quiet for a moment, reminiscing before she looks at me with her eyes sparkling. “I knew you’d give him a second chance.”

“Between us, don’t trust him. I think he is a demon.” I whispered, hoping Alfie didn’t take me seriously.

“Why?” Mum looks a little hesitant.

“He’s been so nice. Like completely not Logan. It’s been like, a good couple days since I’ve wanted to kill him. I think someone is just pretending to be him!” It’s true. He is either giving sucking up a whole new meaning, or we have a pretender walking amongst us.

“He isn’t a demon Ellie, just a boy in love. Eat some soup, take a shower, your Dad is in class at the moment, but he’ll be back by four.” Once standing, she kisses my forehead and leaves me and Alfie alone, yet I hear her as she closes the door and it breaks my heart. “I’m glad you’re home.”

Sighing I sink back into the pillows and idly stroke the top of Alfie’s head. “You been a good boy?”

“Esna feed Alfie.”

“Yeah, but have you been good? Not attacking students or scaring Trackers and being a pain?”

“No. Alfie good. Alfie protect home like Elise wanted last time.”

I hug him again before feeling confident enough to give the soup a go. To my relief it stays down and I do as Mum told me. Just having Alfie around has helped me feel better and the painkillers have worked nearly instantly.