26th March 2012

There is something completely intoxicating about war. The smells, the sounds, the desperation in the air. Chaos rules and all the devils children can come out to play. Blood soaks the earth like rain in a dessert, people fall never to get up and monsters fight for dominance. You could say only the strong survive, but there is more to it than that. 

The vampire is all smoke and mirrors, toying with the mortals like a cat with a mouse. These are not normal mortals. These are my people; Hunters, Trackers, Slayers.

I created them all with the ability to overcome great obstacles. Humanity is left behind when you are made to kill, at least that is how it had been until they managed to find it again. I was doomed to suffer with them from that point on. Feel remorse. Want justice. Discover right from wrong. It really did ruin all my fun.

Watching them fight was more than something to enjoy; it made me proud. Left to their own devices, they followed my laws, accepted guidance even though they may not understand or even realise it. Like now.

"Look left, little girl!"

"There!" She cries out, pointing to where The Four stood, waiting to come in and destroy what I had created.

"What is that?" The red headed Hunter asks. 

"The Warlocks. It has to be!"

She isn't the girl she used to be. No, like all humans, they grow up. A part of her is still torn, trying to work out who she is, who she is supposed to be. She fights like a warrior from a time long gone.

She isn't like the others.

Her families name comes with a curse; a small price to pay in exchange for my help. She doesn't know this. She never will and while her ancestors did all they could to ensure a girl was never born with the Bunting name, here she is. 

"Did you come to watch or are you finally here to help?" The old lady asks, appearing beside me in the darkness. It doesn't last long, the disguise melting away so the silvery wisp of a much younger woman takes her place. It's all in the eyes with her, those dark endless windows into eternity. 

"It is quite fascinating." I tell her, before reaching out to take her hand. "I'm glad you're in your true form Portia. Like old times."

I kiss her knuckles and that bored expression on her face does not vary. 

"I wish I could say the same."

We watch in silence and the tension that surrounds her starts to snake it's way under my skin. I hate when she does that.

"Do you think she'll die?" I ask.

The vampire is breaking her and deep down, I sense her find peace within herself because the ones she cares about aren't there to witness her downfall. She fights until exhausted, and as she falls, I instantly step forward.

"Will she die?" I ask again.

"We all have our limits." Comes her response. The girl keeps fighting and I can't stay away, even though I can hear The Oracle. "Just not tonight."

"It's time, isn't it?" 

Do not interfere. 

Stay away.

Wait until the right time.

"Go to. Hell. Asshole." She doesn't shut up, even now she is determined, fearless.

It has gone on long enough, and if the Oracle didn't answer me now I'd be going anyway. To hell with the plan. Thankfully, she gives a simple nod as her hand sits on my shoulder and squeezes. 

"Go. It is time."

"Are you planning sending me there, Hunter?" The vampire laughs.

"If she's not. I am."

His fear only makes me stronger, and he reconises my power where as she reconises my face.

"Cain? It can't be!"

"Darius?"

Poor little girl. 

"Hello Hunter."

Her skin is striped like a tigers, red and white; some her blood, some is that of her kills. I help her stand and her shock gives way to anger. She holds herself proud despite how much I know she is hurting and meeting my gaze, her eyes narrow.

I never expected her to punch me.

I never expected it to hurt so much.

And never did I think she'd then try to kill me. Even from across the oval all I can hear is Portia laughing....

-----

Can't really do a diary entry since you know, everyone is at war, but I like to still have something to break up the chapters and thought I'd throw this in. Not sure if it worked or not, but oh well. Let me know if you think it's stupid and I might do an Ailin one or something instead.