11

believe the kiss was for experiment’s sake. He has been meaning to see if these robo-boyfriends are just as warm and pliant as human ones. He’s kissed an ex girlfriend before so he thinks he remembers what a kiss is supposed to feel like but nothing prepares him for the way Chanyeol tips his face up, eyes dark.

Baekhyun feels his throat close up at the sight; Chanyeol really was made for these types of things, huh? His eyes are still open wide when their lips touch.

Luckily for him, Chanyeol makes no move to further deepen the kiss. That would only land Baekhyun in more hot water with his own logic-filled conscious. He still hasn't forgotten Kris’ one hundred days warning.

As crazy as it sounds, there would be no straining effort on Baekhyun’s part to fall for Chanyeol. He knows this and understands his feelings well. He’s purposely holding himself back for many reasons, a few of which disappear from his mind when Chanyeol pulls him back, lips brushing over his forehead.

Boyfriendbots are apparently really, really good at what they do, Baekhyun observes.

When Chanyeol disappears into the bedroom for a quick charging, Baekhyun remains rooted in the same spot, mouth open. His rice burns and his heart races painfully in his chest; how could he be falling for a robot?

Every argument against this relationship in his head is attacked by memories of living with Chanyeol and his adorable smile. Chanyeol is real. He’s not human but he’s capable of some feelings and for Baekhyun to want to emotionally stay away from him because he isn’t “real” is cruel. He knows just how much Chanyeol wants to be human. Baekhyun’s lived through enough of Chanyeol’s tossing and turning to know he’s not any closer to reaching “sleep” today than he was three weeks ago, and he hates it.

It’s hard to believe not too long ago, Baekhyun was staring at a catalog in his kitchen and cursing Tao for putting these ideas in his head. Now he’s still in the kitchen, but there’s a robotic man in his bedroom and there’s an anxious feeling in his chest that hadn’t been there before.

He looks to the calendar, reaching out to flip two months away. The one-hundredth day with Chanyeol is lightly circled with a red pen.

There’s still enough time. Kris can always be wrong. He’s a machine and they aren’t always perfect. Everything alive has to make mistakes.

Right?   

Part 2

“I sent him back.”

Chanyeol stops fidgeting in his chair, head suddenly turned to Tao’s direction.

Baekhyun pulls his eyes away from Chanyeol, “Sent who back?”

“Kris,” Tao sips his coffee, staring into his cup.

Next to Baekhyun, Chanyeol frowns. “Why would you do that?”

Tao avoids Chanyeol’s eyes and meets Baekhyun’s instead. “I had to. I realized…I realized I