2

Baekhyun should just close this catalog and forget all about robotic boyfriends and all that nonsense. He’s a good-looking guy (…kinda), he’ll find a real boyfriend on his own.

It’s only after fifteen minutes of flipping through the booklet and landing on the same page that he realizes his eyes are drawn to one figure and one figure only. The CH model: One hundred and eight two centimeters (Tall); brown, curled hair (cute) and has the ability to…fall in love? What the hell does that mean? It’s a computer; what does it know of love.

Against his better judgment, Baekhyun is drawn to that sweet face. The model is one of the cheaper ones and Baekhyun knows it’s foolish of him to be thankful when “cheap” means almost nothing to a university student. He’s going to be swimming in debt when he graduates medical school but this…this toy, wouldn’t it be interesting to have?

Even if Baekhyun can only stand playing with it for a little while, he would like to personally experience what the big deal is about. He’d like to judge for himself just how “life changing” (according to the catalog) having a robotic boyfriend/roommate/ is.

And, anyway, if things turn out too badly, he can always blame Tao for this.

Tao was the one who gave him such a catalog after all.  

A few weeks later, Baekhyun comes home to a gigantic box in front of his door. The box is almost bigger than his apartment door itself and he stares, dumbfounded, at the giant, sparkly sticker (“The Boyfriend Store~!”) in front of the box. His shame is the only thing that gets him moving and pulling the box inside, carefully laying it down in his living room and then stepping back.

After spending the better part of two hours trying to get the box open, the lid finally pops open with a loud gush of air.

Baekhyun falls back, not expecting the lid to suddenly come alive on its own, and stares as a very tall, very naked man stands up in the box. He thinks a part of his brain fizzles up and dies because from this angle, he is getting very intimately acquainted with his doll and that was not the purpose of all this. He stands, palms wet with sweat.

The thing shakes its head and yawns, stretching upward. Baekhyun gets an eyeful of cool, smooth white skin breaking out into goose pimples as the AC of the apartment hits him. Is this supposed to happen? Baekhyun thought they didn’t feel.

“H-Hello?"

It opens its large eyes, blinking sleepily at him. “Oh,” it says in deep voice Baekhyun would not have associated with such a cute face. “Hello.”

When it laughs and its face gives a large twitch, Baekhyun knows why this model was significantly cheaper than all the rest. It's defective. They mailed him a broken doll. However, he paid for this so he won’t let himself get too worked up about it.

He disappears into his room and comes back with some clothes, telling it to clothe itself. It does so easily, smiling. “My name is—“

“You have a name?” Baekhyun’s voice sounds stupid to his own ears.