18

Grayson

I check my hair for probably the thousandth time. I don't know what to do with myself. I want everything to go perfectly but I find it hard to do that with Del so heavy on my mind.

"Bro, you'll do fine. You've been practicing for a week now." Ethan says as he pats my back. "I sure hope so." I mutter as I let out a sigh.

"And don't worry. I know she'll be here. She wouldn't miss it for the world." He smiles. It's almost like he always knows what I'm thinking.

"Let's go Grayson. You're on buddy." My manager says as he walks in. I nod as I grab my guitar and follow him to the back stage area.

The people backstage smile at me as I take in a deep breath. This is so crazy.

I walk on to the stage and like always there's a stool sat under a bright light and in front of that sits a microphone.

I wave at everyone as I make my way to the stool. There's a low clap as I sit.

As I get situated I spot her. She looks breath taking. It's like I'm seeing her for the first time all over again.

A thought runs through my head and I know it's sketchy. I could potentially mess up my big break with a big time producer but I don't care.

"I Uh wrote this song a while ago. I hope you guys like it." I mutter into the microphone. I clear my throat and begin to play.

Del

He begins to play and it sounds even better than what it did back in high school. He's definitely been working hard.

It sounds beautiful. And then that's when he starts to sing. My heart stops instantly.

Hey there, Delilah
What's it like in New York city?

He wrote a song about me? I begin to look around and everyone seems shocked. I know that this wasn't the song he was supposed to perform but he doesn't care.

We make eye contact and it's like I'm in a trance. No one else in this crowd matters.

I'm a thousand miles away
But, girl, tonight you look so pretty
Yes, you do
Times Square can't shine as bright as you
I swear, it's true

My cheeks heat up at the compliment that's buried in the song. I can't believe he took the time to write this about me.

Hey there, Delilah
Don't you worry about the distance
I'm right there if you get lonely
Give this song another listen
Close your eyes
Listen to my voice, it's my disguise
I'm by your side

The words and soothing voice gives me comfort but I find myself tearing up. I never knew he felt this way.

Oh, it's what you do to me
What you do to me

The tears spill out and I can't help it. I may be crying but a small smile plays on my lips.

Hey there, Delilah
I know times are gettin' hard
But just believe me, girl
Someday I'll pay the bills with this guitar
We'll have it good
We'll have the life we knew we would
My word is good

The words seem so fitting. Last night was hard and my relationship was hard but life with Grayson seemed so promising. It's the only life I want.

Hey there, Delilah
I've got so much left to say
If every simple song I wrote to you
Would take your breath away
I'd write it all
Even more in love with me you'd fall
We'd have it all

The song has done nothing but take my breath away but I don't think I could fall for him anymore than I already have. I'm in deep.

Oh, it's what you do to me
A thousand miles seems pretty far
But they've got planes and trains and cars
I'd walk to you if I had no other way
Our friends would all make fun of us
And we'd just laugh along because we'd know
That none of them have felt this way
Delilah, I can promise you
That by the time that we get through
The world will never ever be the same
And you're to blame

The fact that a guy is willing to do all of this for me makes my heart race and my palms sweat. His words make my heart melt. He promises so much. He promises everything Tyler never ever gave me.

Hey there, Delilah
You be good, and don't you miss me
Two more years and you'll be done with school
And I'll be makin' history like I do
You know it's all because of you
We can do whatever we want to
Hey there, Delilah, here's to you
This one's for you

He really did write this a while ago. He felt like this for so long and I never wrote him. My heart breaks due to how bad I feel. He was probably so hurt.

Oh, it's what you do to me
What you do to me, oh oh, woah, woah
Oh woah, oh
Oh

Our eye contact is intense as he finishes. I'm frozen in place as I take in what just happened. He stands and he sits his guitar on his back and he walks off stage.

He pushes through the crowd and that's when I start to move. I need to get to him. I can't wait.

The crowd moves and they watch Grayson. I can tell they're all confused but neither of us care.

As soon as we make it through the crowd we're stood right in front of each other. We're 2 feet away and our chest are rising and falling rapidly.

"You came." Is all he manages to say. "I wouldn't miss it." I say, not taking my eyes off his. It's like we're in some sort of trance.

At the same time we snap out of it and move towards each other. His large arms wrap around me tightly and mine find his hair as our lips crash hard.

I've never felt anything like this. A fire erupts in the pit of my stomach as his soft lips move against mine. I want more but I know we're in public.

We pull away and we're both left breathless as his forehead rest against mine. Everyone begins to clap. I can't believe everyone just saw us do that.

We both smile from ear to ear as we look at each other. I've been dying to kiss him and I know he's wanted it too.

"How'd you like the song?" He ask quickly. "I loved it." I beam.

Word count 1180
Okay I loved writing this short story. It was so much fun.

Once again the song is Hey There Delilah by the Plain White Ts. It's a great song and I've always been in love with it.

There will be an epilogue. I hope you guys enjoyed this book.