'What does she think this is? A royal ball in the 30s?' Gracie said and this time I laughed along with them.

Gradually, the music died down and the spotlight was shone on my parents who were joined to each other by their sides. Dad cleared his throat.

'I'm beyond elated to have you all here tonight to celebrate thirty years of my marriage to the strongest woman in the world. In all honesty, I am honoured to be the number one man in her life, I am honoured to have her change her lovely last name to bear mine and I am beyond blessed to be the father of her three wonderful and slightly obnoxious children'.

He just had to say that.

'I see my children giving me sour looks, sorry kids, today is all about your mom'. He paused to hold my mother's hands in his so he could stare right at her.

'Linda, in the past thirty-four years of knowing you and thirty years of marriage there hasn't been a morning I woke up and felt my love for you diminish. You've been a great wife, mother, grandmother and mother-in-law and you'll continue to be for the next thirty more years to come. I love you'.

'I love you too'. My mom said in that sickly sweet voice none of the cheerleaders would ever manage to pull off.

'If they kiss, I'm gonna throw up in your shoe'. Meghan said beside me, then they kissed.

'Take off your shoes'. She looked so serious for a moment I thought she was going to be sick but she smiled at my mom and joined in on the clapping.

Jake sighted me from across the hall and was about to come over but stopped when he noticed Meghan beside me. She noticed him too and sent him an evil smirk.

          I caught sight of a very familiar face that I hadn't seen for over a year walking towards us. She stopped before me and smiled.

'Lauren?' I whispered.
'Is that how you say hello to your big sister, Zaynie? Come on, fill me up'. She said, spreading her arms.
'That is totally wrong for you to say. Motherhood hasn't gotten to your foul mouth'.

She pulled me into her body. Motherhood hadn't changed her attitude but it sure did change her body, she was at least two sizes bigger than she used to be and more beautiful.

'Mom said you wouldn't be coming because of baby Carl'.

'His aunt agreed to watch him. I couldn't miss another big family occasion after Malik's wedding. I just saw his wife, she's a gorg, way better than what she looks like in picture. Most importantly, I had to see you, boyfriend'. She said pulling my cheeks which made Meghan chuckle at my side.
Gracie had left to socialize.

'Hey there! You must be Meghan, mom told me all about the hair. It's nice to meet you honey'. Lauren smiled at her.

She had always been that way, my sister, the nicest of us. She was the perfect big sister to Malik and I but she could be monstrous when she wanted to be.

I had been upset when she got married and moved out of the city but she had found her prince and I was sure he'd take care of her.

'The feeling is mutual'. Meghan said with a smile.
'Zayn, we have to talk'. I hated when my sister sounded so serious because it only meant trouble.

'Right now?' She nodded and asked me to wait in the terrace while she went to call dad.

          I walked out to the terrace, the music was almost unheard from there. Lauren came out a few minutes later accompanied by our father, both wearing disappointed looks.

I was used to my family being disappointed in me but it still felt bad to see it in their faces.

'Dad'. Lauren gestured for our father to speak.