Chapter 32 - Jamie

Start from the beginning

With a sigh, I shut the door behind me, wondering what I've gotten myself into. Lynn's never been the petty type. She speaks her mind, but never in a way that makes it seem as if she's looking for drama. Which tells me that something is off with her today. She's not typically so cold. Yes, edgy and direct, but never cold.

Following her upstairs, I see her feet disappear into a hole in the ceiling that leads to the attic. Grabbing ahold of the attached ladder, I begin the climb. It's not easy. When you don't have a knee on one leg it can be a bit of a challenge. I'm basically dragging myself up the ladder with just my arms and let me tell you, it's exhausting.

Reaching the top, I haul myself out of the hole and lie panting on the wood floor, eyes closed, while I listen to Lynn shuffle around the room. I expect her to tease me or throw some offensive words at me about being lazy or dramatic. Instead, she doesn't say anything at all. Her silence has me concerned, so I peak an eye open only to find her lounging on a fluffy couch watching me in amusement.

Okay, so maybe she's not pissed.

Grunting my way into standing, I join her on the couch, releasing a pent-up breath the moment my butt hits the cushion.

"You okay?" I ask, feeling her eyes on me. I've already dropped my head against the back of the couch and am staring up at the angled ceilings.

"Fine," she answers cheerfully. "Kinda." Then she shifts toward me. "Actually, I'm horribly annoyed with you, but other than that, I'm peachy."

"I gathered that you're annoyed," I say, ignoring the rest of her statement. "Want to explain why?"

"Yeah, sure," she smiles. "As soon as you explain why you felt the need to treat me like garbage the night we went to the haunted house."

I drag a hand down my face, all levels of regret surfacing as I piece together the perfect explanation. But, there is no perfect explanation that doesn't require the absolute truth, and I'm not ready for that yet. So, I go for a different truth.

"I can't."

Her face drops in astonishment. "Really? You can't tell me why you were so rude?"

"I honestly didn't realize I was being so rude to you and I'm sorry for that, but I can't tell you why I was acting the way I was. At least not yet," I tell her and then quickly add. "But the moment I figure things out, you'll be the first to know."

She groans, throwing herself back on the couch and turning her eyes upward toward the rafters. "Fine."

Well, that was easy.

"Time to help me clean then," she says, tilting her head in my direction and offering me a wink.

Lifting myself off the couch, I glance around the room and realize that it's really not that bad in here. There are quite a few pieces of furniture, but not that many boxes.

"What's the plan?"

"Well," she says, rubbing her hands together in anxious excitement. "I'm turning this room into my hangout room. I'm pushing everything out of the way so we can have a company come and install a few skylights. My parents even okay'd me having air conditioning put in. Once it's all arranged to perfection, this room is going to be epic."

I nod slowly, biting on my lip as I survey the area. "Cool."

"Your task," she says, stabbing her finger into my chest. "Is to help me move the heavier stuff. Cabinets and tables." Then she grins proudly, her obvious joy a stark contrast to the dread hanging off my face.

"Fine," I mumble. "Let's do this."

———

By the time we're done, I'm famished. It's probably two o'clock and I haven't had anything to eat all day. When I tell Lynn this, her eyes widen in horror.