Contemplating the Inevitable

I admit I didn't immediately go home, part of the case involved gargoyles and those were among my favorite things. But when the group headed off towards the bridge, then I knew I had to make myself scare. So reluctantly I returned to my stomping grounds, suffered mom's long speech about staying out too long without supervision, and retired to bed just in time to see the fireworks go up over London Bridge. As the show approached its end I took a moment to make a wish.

"I wish for protection over my friends on their crazy case and that they all come back safely. Including Sherlock." My cheeks went pink at the name, a small dopey smile on my face. As the night fell silent once more, I took a moment to really think about what would happen if I did lose my heart to Sherlock. More precisely the issue of what I was and how I could solve that problem.

I wonder if there's some kind of magic that changes gnomes to people or visa versa. It doesn't seem that hard to believe anymore given the fact that there's such things as talking gnomes to begin with. I laughed lightly. But really, if I do lose my heart to him that'll be a problem. In the end I went to sleep quietly wondering.

~

The next morning, the first thing I did was change into a neat summer dress and head outside to witness the flower ceremony. To be honest I was surprised it was still on, with all the craziness I thought for sure it wouldn't happen. But as I watched Gnomeo and Juliet share a kiss, a pang of jealousy made me long for a certain gnome I couldn't see. Heart sinking, I turned back towards the door when I heard someone call my name. I paused, sure enough it came again, I scanned the crowd and finally spotted Watson, with a certain gnome leaning on his shoulder.

"I'm afraid I might've gotten a little carried away." I could swear my heart wanted to burst right out of my chest. "Sherlock, what have I told you about breaking your leg?" He only smiled at my light scold, and I could do nothing but return it.

~

Maybe gnome repair is considered easy, maybe it isn't, but it's practically routine for me so I see no issue in it. With the same careful hands I used with all my patients, I gently picked up Sherlock and carried him into the kitchen while the gnomes watched outside. It wasn't long until I saw Irene join them.

"Your ex is here." He glanced out the glass sliding door before laying back down on the folded blankets I had set up as a spreadsheet. "I don't want her pity." I smiled from my spot under the sink as I gathered supplies. "Sometimes it's not so bad to have pity, you get away with more things that." I came back to the table and laid everything out, I felt his eyes and looked up. "What?" He propped himself up on his elbow and smiled all dopey like.

"I'm so glad I didn't die, or I never would've seen you again." My entire face went red at his words. "I've missed your endless flattery." It came out before I could stop it but he just laughed, and I soon followed.