a gnome detective

So that's how it went, for a few easy going mouths I talked to the lawn ornaments like they were normal people. Granted I didn't tell anyone, and knew better then to ever try, but it was a good time I looked forward to enjoying every day after school.

It was Friday, a rainy one at that, and I had chosen to walk home despite knowing there was a pretty good chance I'd catch a cold later. Purple umbrella overhead, I burst through the back gate and came to a halt.

Gone. The gnomes were all gone. Just then Gnomeo and Juliet came out from a bush some feet away, there were tear stains on Juliet's cheeks. Wordlessly, I picked them both up and held them close as we all stood for a long time in the rain.

~

I'm not sure how I got inside or when I fell asleep but the next thing I know I'm waking up to Juliet's frantic tugs at my sleeve while lying on the living room couch.

"Isabel, the rain stopped and someone's here to help us find the gnomes. I told him you'd be able to help us." With a yawn I sat up and followed her outside where Gnomeo was talking to two gnomes I hadn't seen before. One of the, dressed in old English style blue, saw me first and stared, mouth gaping. The second to see me was Gnomeo.

"Ah, here's a secret weapon now." The last one in green turned around and froze.

It took me only a few seconds to recognize the Sherlock Homes way he was dressed and I arched a curious brow. A gnome detective? Man these little guys can be anything can't they?

"Why are you so stunned Sherlock? We told you we had an exclusive ace up our sleeves." Gnomeo said, the tall gnome snapped out of his open mouth state and bowed, looking back up with a nervous smile.

"A pleasure to meet you my lady, I'd tip my hat but it's kinda stuck to my head. Well, it is but, I guess it isn't..." His voice tumbled over every word, as if there was a piece of ice in his mouth, I giggled before kneeling down so that Juliet could hop off my shoulder, landing a perfect flip. She grabbed the wide eyed gnome by the hand and pulled him up to where I knelt.

"Sherlock Gnomes, meet our good friend Isabel, mender of us all." I smiled with a slight nod, holding out my hand. "Pleasure to make your acquaintance." He took my middle finger and kissed the knuckle, causing my jaw to drop as he looked back at me with hooded brown eyes.

"The pleasure's all mine." His voice was different now, low and alluring, and the way he looked at me...I've never been looked in that way before. It made my cheeks flush and set my stomach alive with butterflies.

"Isabel, we need transportation. Can you help us?" Snapping out of the sudden trance, I looked to the other blue gnome. "Who are you?" "Dr. Watson, traveling companion of Sherlock Gnomes." "But you can take his place if you like." Sherlock said, eyes never leaving my face, I giggled before leaning forward to his level.

"If I didn't know any better kind sir I'd say you were flirting with me." His eyes lowered themselves to the barely visible cleavage peaking through my pink T-shirt. "I might be." A light scold came to my face. "My eyes are up here detective man." He looked into them with a slightly naughty smile. "Forgive me for being alive and wanting." I giggled, finding I could not tear my eyes from his.

"Um, hello? Transportation?" I pulled back and looked at Gnomeo. "Right, yeah I think I can help, just tell me what I have to do." Everyone gathered around to come up with a plan, as I bent forward to hear more, Sherlock took the opportunity to lean up against my cheek and whisper into my ear.

"I'd lean beside you but you're too big, this seemed like the next best thing." I smiled, glazing at him out the corner of my eye, he returned it with a playful wink, and I was powerless to the blush that jumped to my cheeks.