the box on the front step

I woke to a traditional Saturday morning, happy there was no school, walked downstairs and out the front door to retrieve the mail and noticed a big carboard box just outside the door. I rolled my eyes with a groan.

"Aw mom not again!"

~

It's been three days or so since mom got that lastest package in the mail. Dad's the organized spring cleaning type, but mom's the buyer of online whatevers, can't say I really blame her, I like getting boxes in the mail too. Just not every other weekend.

"Gnomes mom? Really?" "The deal was unavoidable Isabel, I had to get them." I rolled my eyes. "That's what you always say." I love my mom and all, I just hate her constant buying and the fact I'm dragged into taking care of all her stuff.

"Where do you think these ones should go?" She held up a blue dressed boy gnome followed by a red girl one. I placed the box back down and walked over, gently taking them from her hands to examine.

"How about that brick structure in the center? They look like they'd go nice together." The phone rang from inside. "I'll be right back." She hopped up and ran off, I sighed.

"Sure." Placing both gnomes on the center brick thingy, I sat back and looked at their smiling faces and couldn't help smiling myself.

"You two look nice together, like starcrossed lovers. (Sigh) Wish I could find love like that." For a brief second, I could've sworn the red gnome smiled at me.