Chapter 7 - 'Are the rumours of your engagement true?'

"The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds."

-The Notebook.

"You're joking, aren't you?"

"I'm not joking, now just please get in the car," Cameron pleads. "This is part of our contracts."

"Rollerblading?" I ask dubiously. "I didn't read that in my contract."

"Fine print?" he suggests and I just stare at him. "Okay, maybe it wasn't. But come on, we need to make this relationship believable and I thought rollerblading would be a fun way to do that."

"We could also shove pins in our eyes, I'm sure that would be just as fun," I comment, but I slide into his car all the same. When Cameron text me and told me to come outside, I did not imagine to be getting into his car with him to go on a 'date'. However, I think I'm dressed okay for the occasion and I have no other conflicting appointments, so I didn't really have any valid excuse not to come.

After I spent the night with Cameron, had my freak out, then talked to mom, I realized that maybe I just need to get to know Cameron some more. Maybe we argue because we aren't familiar enough with each other. So whenever he suggests us meeting up, I agree. However, so far all we've done is go for walks or hang out at each other's houses. Never actually go out and do something really date-like.

When I have my belt buckled, Cameron swings the car back out of the front gate and we begin our journey to the roller rink. "I hate roller-blading."

"It's cute and the paparazzi will love it," Cameron shrugs, checking his rear view mirror. "Besides, we already have some following us."

"Does it creep you out that they just follow you around? Because it makes me really uncomfortable."

"Yeah, I'm with you on that," he says. "I feel like I'm being stalked or something."

"Exactly!" I agree. "I'm glad someone finally sees my point."

"Glad to be of service," he grins. I smile at him and we return to a comfortable silence. When we pull up outside the roller rink, I turn to Cameron.

"Okay, so what kind of couple-like things are we going to have to do in here?"

"Well there's going to have to be a significant amount of hand holding, smiling and laughing," he says. "And I guess anything else that just happens when we feel it's appropriate."

"Cool," I nod. I go to open the door, when Cameron tells me to wait. He gets out and steps around to my side, opening the door for me. With a grin I step out and wink at him. "Is this when I'm supposed to tip you?"

"Shut up and get inside," he says with a smile. It's all really weird, but I must admit it's funny. As long as we're smiling and laughing, we can say basically anything to each other without the press knowing.

I walk inside the building and Cameron pays our entrance fee. We get our skates and hand over our own shoes - Cameron wearing his usual black Converse, as always - and lace them up before entering the rink. It's not that I'm bad at roller blading, I just don't enjoy it. As I begin skating, Cameron catches my hand, lowering his head to my ear.

"Pretend to be bad," he whispers. "They'll eat it up." I look up at him and decide that he has a fair point. So I gradually pretend that I'm not that great, skidding around and falling into Cameron so that he has to help me up, grinning as he does so. We're pretending to be the most cute and perfect couple out there, and I must admit, it's working. To other people we'd seem like a good pair. To us, however, I'm not sure. Well, if I'm honest, the more I think about us as a couple, the less the idea daunts me. Like Charlie said, if I just see how it goes, I'll be surprised with how things work out. And my mom did say that her and dad didn't really get on when they first met.