Chapter XX - A Great Injustice

Start from the beginning

Nora stilled the movement of her fingers, lifted her head to look directly at Emri, and then smirked mischievously.

The warmth, which had been at her side, shifted and soon the full length of Nora’s heated body covered every inch of Emri’s exposed flesh. The open flaps of her shirt where pushed aside, as she settled against the younger woman.

Emri released a gasp that evolved into a contented sigh as short, blunt nails raked across her scalp and through her hair. The action sent a shiver down her body.

“May I try something?” Emri asked through a whisper as she gazed dreamily into molten brown eyes. “I mean—I’ve done it before, just not like this, and … I’d like to try.”

Nora did not voice a reply but rather nodded and reclaimed Emri’s lips.

Emri’s hands slipped behind Nora’s neck and rested at the base of her skull, her thumbs stroked the sensitive skin behind her ear.

Familiar warmth encompassed Nora within an instant. The sensation sent a shot through her body as it curled around her limbs, from her head to the tips of her toes, eliciting a sharp, yet pleasant tremor.

There were no words, no language, and no other sensation to compare or explain how full Nora felt in that moment. She gasped into Emri’s mouth as she was overcome with yet more feeling. A part of her, no matter how juvenile the thought, felt as if a part of Emri had somehow passed through an illusory boundary and now resided deep within her.

Moments slipped by as Nora’s name was tenderly whispered through parted lips while Emri’s hands moved fervently across Nora’s back, never once leaving her. The fire that had slowly been building within Nora’s stomach ignited sending an indescribable intensity throughout her entire body. Emri was right there with her as their bodies finally succumbed to the intense pressure.

Time seemed limitless as they shared this unique experience, but it felt too soon as Nora became overwhelmed and regretfully broke their kiss, still, however, remaining not but a hair’s breadth from the other . Their cheeks were warm and wet—a mixture of tears both had shed at some point during the intense connection.

Nora lifted trembling hands to Emri’s face and dried what moisture she found there. Her eyes swam in unshed tears as she looked down at the one woman who had dared to love her; the one person who had defied the odds of the worlds to save her. The only person to ever make her believe she was worthy and capable of receiving and giving love. Nora’s body thrummed and her heart swelled from euphoric joy at just how complete she felt. It left her breathless, and instead of wasting precious time with inadequate words, she simply smiled and lowered her lips to Emri’s and kissed her with all that she had left.

Nora never fathomed it would come to this. She never thought that all those years ago, when they both sat beneath a decaying tree as children, that this would be her future. She never expected to be loved like this, yet here she was with Emri, who not only loved her with every fiber of her being, but also made her feel safe and loved. For Nora, it would likely be short lived, but all they had for the moment was right then. One breath at a time, no guarantee of another, and Nora wished to take nothing for granted.

Nora settled onto her more fully, shrouding Emri’s body with her own in a tangled mess of arms and legs as Emri kissed her unhurriedly. “Nora … just—please don’t leave me,” Emri spoke breathlessly as she fought to regain her breathing.

Nora’s heart shattered at her plea, and in that moment, the false reality they had built and took refuge in for the last several hours, crumbled hopelessly around them. Because no matter how beautiful, joyful, or splendid this intimately perfect moment was, it would not last, and that about broke Nora completely.