Chapter 13: Family

As I walked through the front door of my house, all the bravery I had felt during the night or in the last hour, slowly faded.

I knew eventually I had to face the ones I was truly afraid of, news travelled fast and news like those? Ten times faster.

Mum was going to find out at some point and I was considering not telling her, letting her find out from someone else. At least that way I'd have a few days or a few hours to pack my things and think about where I was going.

My dad was awake when I got home, he was having his morning coffee as he read the morning paper. He had a frown. He was wearing a plain white shirt and black trousers and his black tie was loosened.

"Dad," I spoke up, walking up to him and sitting in front of him. Might as well start with him.

He was startled and surprised that I was awake. I tried not to let it affect me that they probably didn't notice I didn't come home last night.

"Nina, it's so early— did you just get in?" He asked as I played with my keychain, it was a manatee that Ceci had gotten me from that one time she went to Florida with her family.

"Yeah, we were at the hospital—" His face immediately changed, his brown eyes widen and his mouth opened slightly. "Kai got into a fight but he's okay. He got stitches and broke his wrist."

"But he's okay?" Dad asked and I nodded.

"Yeah, he's fine."

"His parents?"

"His parents are away for three days," I told him, my hands began to sweat and my heartbeat quickened. I felt sick. "Celebrating their anniversary."

"Oh, that's nice..." My dad smiled. "Why did he get into a fight?"

My breathing was uneven, my stomach began to ache and I was sure I was going to start crying any minute now.

"He—" I swallowed hard, I looked away from my dad. "He was defending me."

"Oh," he stopped himself and moved to face me. I heard him swallowing hard and putting away his newspaper. "Alguém fez algo para você? Did someone hurt you, Nina, o que aconteceu?"

"Jake Boyle was saying things about me."

"Boyle? I'm going to talk to his parents, I will stop by before work—" he was standing up but I grabbed his arm and tried to keep him still. "What? Nina, we have to do something if this boy is bullying you—"

"He wasn't," I shook my head, "Can you please sit so I can finish?"

My dad sat down and watched me carefully. I took a deep breath in and let it out slowly. I felt extremely sick.

"What was Jake saying?"

"Do you love me?" I asked, not even looking at him. If I did look at him, it would've made me feel weird, I wouldn't have been able to carry on.

"Of course, I love you, Nina," he frowned as he laid his hand on top of mine. "I know things haven't been easy and I'm sorry for that but I love you with my whole heart."

"Mum said the same thing," I sniffed, tears were filling my eyes and I couldn't keep them in.

"And she meant it," He was so sure of himself. "She loves you, Nina, just like I do. Don't doubt that."

"No matter what?"

"No matter what, sweetheart."

I braced myself for the words, I wanted to get them out, I wanted to say it but it was like they were stuck in my throat, they didn't want to come out and I tried to push them out but no sound left my mouth.