17. The Relentless Redhead

Start from the beginning

~*~

"Thanks," I mumbled to the taxi, paying and getting out. He drove off, allowing a girl on a yellow scooter to pull up. I ignored her and hurried inside. I had to swipe my new pass card to get into the main building. Talk about security.

I quickly made my way to the elevator, the girl following in my footsteps. I got into the elevator and hit the shut door button before she could get in. I wasn't sure if she was a Leviathan or human or anything in between. I couldn't risk being killed. I quickly went to my floor and found the director.

"Hey, you must be Sidney, correct?" the director asked as soon as he saw me. "Awe, you are a pretty thing." He said that in a low whisper. I awkwardly looked away, making him think I didn't hear.

"Y-yeah, that's me!" I answered enthusiastically. Reading his name tag, I knew his name was Pete. "Nice to meet you, Pete!"

"Ditto," he smiled. The redhead girl walked in from the elevator and hesitated to pass. That gave Pete an opportunity to stop her. "Charlie, hey, Charlie!" He patted her arm rather roughly, making her take off her headphones. She quickly turned off her loud music and smiled at him.

"Hey, Pete!" she greeted him cheerfully. "What's up?"

"This is Sidney Brown, she's new," he summed up. "I want you to show her to her new desk and show her how to work our interface and programs."

"Y-yessir," she replied with a bit of a lisp. "Come on, Sid! Your desk is near mine!"

How do I already have a desk? "Awesome!" So now I'm going with the unknown girl to an unknown location... am I about to die right now?

"Nice shirt by the way," she blurted. I looked down to see the new grey Iron Man shirt with red flannel around my waist. I tried to look as much as a computer geek as possible, but I was quickly liking the outfit.

"Thanks, Iron Man's a tech genius and I think all computer techies should aspire to be him!" I pushed up my black rimmed glasses with a smirk. Lying was getting easier nowadays.

"Really? I personally like Hermione from—"

"Harry Potter!" I exclaimed, catching her attention. "Smart, logical, and a great role model for females." I gave her a full-hearted smile. "I like the way you think!"

"Apparently, so does Dick," she huffed, pushing red hair out of her face. I quirked my head to the side as we rounded a corner. "He gave me an encrypted file owned by one of our competitors. That bitch is tough to crack."

I opened my mouth, stopped, then continued. "Dick or the file?"

She laughed slightly and shook her head. "The file, Sid. Anyway, now I've got Darth Vador looking over my shoulder."

I whistled and pushed the frames up again. "Mmm, I'd be stressed out."

"Oh, yeah, and this guy went all out. He even has a jackass program that pokes fun at you," Charlie grumbled. "Seriously, this guy has a big ego."

I huffed a laugh, remembering stories that the boys told me. "You're tellin' me."

"Yeah, I was here all last night," she groaned, rubbing her right eye a bit.