Avi - Adopting a Puppy

Neither you or Avi had ever really considered adopting a puppy; it was just something that never really came up in any conversation. Puppies were a lot of work, too, and they would need a lot of attention and time. But that all changed when, one day, you saw a Facebook post from a friend, saying that her dog had recently had quite a few puppies, and they were up for adoption. So you decided to bring it up one time to see what Avi thought of the idea.

"Avi? I have a question," You say casually. You were reading a book, and Avi was watching TV. 

"And what would that be?" He replied.

"A friend of mine has a dog - a golden retriever, actually - who just had puppies. What would you say to adopting one?"

Avi turned to look at you. "You know, I've never really given adopting a dog much thought... but I think it would be nice! Dogs are the best."

"They really are. It's a lot of work, though. Puppies are very needy."

"I know..." Avi sighed. "But I think that we could manage a dog. So, I say that we should do it."

"Alright, sounds like a plan!" With excitement rising inside you, you texted your friend asking to adopt one of the dogs.

~~~~~

3 days later, you and Avi drove over to your friend's house to pick up the puppy. He was apparently the last one to be picked up; all of the other puppies had gone pretty quickly. Both of you were very excited, and a little bit nervous. It had been a long time since Avi had a dog, and you had never adopted one, even as a kid. But over the last 3 days, you had looked through blogs and articles about taken care of dogs, and you had even talked to a few friends for advice. So you felt as ready as you would ever be.

When you got there, your friend was playing outside with the puppy. He was so small and looked so fragile, but he was running around like crazy and letting out little yips. Both you and Avi got out of the car.

"Well, here he is! Your new little puppy," Your friend said. "I've been telling him all day how he finally is gonna go to a new home, and I think he's pretty excited." As if on cue, he ran up to Avi, who picked him up and started petting him. 

"Aren't you just adorable!" He said with a laugh. You could tell by the twinkle in his eye and by his smile that Avi was in love already. 

"Well, I have all his papers right here," Your friend said as she handed them to here. "All his vaccinations and stuff. I'm sure he's gonna be great when you bring him home." 

"I can already tell he will be," You replied. "Thanks for this."

"Of course! I'm glad he got adopted." You said your goodbyes and got in the car again, puppy and papers in hand. He had Avi's attention the whole ride home. As soon as you got back in the apartment, you let him wander around a bit. He was sniffing everything, and even started barking at your shoes. It would take him some getting used to to be in the house. But you finally had a puppy.

What do you think we should name him?" You ask. It would be hard to come up with a name.

"That's a tough one... there's a lot of dog names that I like." The two of you debated for a while, thinking of a million names that could work, but both of you liked different names. Eventually, though, the two of you agreed on one name that you thought was cute; Finn. It just seemed to fit the puppy nicely. 

Later that night, as you watched TV, Finn jumped up and curled up on your lap. Eventually he fell asleep. You couldn't help but smile; he looked so cute laying there, and so small.

"Look at him, he fell asleep," You say softly to Avi, and he looks over and smiles. 

"He's so cute..." Avi put his arm around you, and you lean into him. Today had been the perfect day for both of you, and for Finn. Your family had just grown a little bit bigger.