Chapter 3: Got My Sparkle Shoes and My Guardbody

When Katie woke up from her nap, she was brimming with energy again, this time determined to go swimming, because she'd seen a pool while she was out playing tag with the bamfs, and she had decided that was what she wanted to do next — and as the X-Men were quickly discovering, when Katie decided something, it was happening.

"I'm sure we've got a suit you can use downstairs," Logan told the determined little girl as she stood on her bed with her hands planted on her hips to make her demands. "Jubes and 'Ro ran off with Jess to get more clothes."

"I like Jubes," Katie said with a grin as she climbed down, now practically giggling because she'd gotten what she wanted.

"Me too," he agreed with a crooked smile.

She took him by the hand and led him down the stairs to grab the purple and white striped swimming suit - along with a pair of inflatable water wings — and when she emerged from the bathroom all dressed up and ready to go, she looked him over, frowning at his lack of a swimsuit. "Aren't you going to swim too?" she asked.

"No," he said. "Jubes and her friend Noh will take you."

"That's the one who uses big words," Katie said, wrinkling her nose.

Logan smiled at her and nodded his head. "Yeah, that's the one."

"Are you going to sit outside with us?" she asked.

"You want me to?" he asked.

She thought about it, her face scrunched up in concentration. "I guess you don't have to," she said with a sigh.

"I can stay in case you want me to hit someone," he offered, smirking again.

"That would be very nice, thank you," she said, nodding fervently. "I like having someone around to hit people."

"Well I like hitting people, so that works out pretty well, I guess."

She beamed at him and took his hand again. "That's why we make a good team, Mr. Logan," she told him seriously.

When they got to the pool, half the team was out there, lounging or playing volleyball, as it was clear they weren't the only ones who were taking advantage of the gorgeous summer day. Even some of the students who lived at the mansion full-time were engaged in a cannonball competition.

"There's a lot of people," Katie said, suddenly shy again as she held onto Logan's hand. "And there's nobody my age!"

"You're smarter than half of 'em," he promised over her shoulder. "But I'll stick close."

"Okay," she agreed, putting on a braver face as she held onto his hand and dragged him toward the pool, though she looked a lot happier about it once Jubilee waved at her with a wide grin. "Hey, Jubes!" she called out happily, waving with the hand that wasn't holding Logan's.

"Hi, Katie!" Jubilee sang out brightly. "You ready to come and swim? The water's nice and warm."

Katie glanced up at Logan, and when he gave her a little nod, she skipped over to Jubes and climbed down the ladder, giggling delightedly once she had her feet wet before she slid the rest of the way in and paddled her way over to Jubes. "Is your head all better?" she asked once she got there. "I saw Dr. Fuzzy putting staples in there."

"Well. I shouldn't get it wet, but it's fine for just staying in the shallow end," Jubes told her with a smile. "It's just too nice of a day not to swim!"

Katie giggled and nodded her agreement. "It's really nice outside," she said. She looked over at Logan and waved his way, then turned back to Jubilee. "Mr. Logan doesn't want to swim, though," she whispered.