III: you're too hard to forget

Start from the beginning

It was his turn to sigh, full of disappointment. "Sure, I don't mind. But if we hit it off more, do you promise me a date?"

I nodded, and then I remembered we were talking over the phone. "Yes," I said.

We talked for a little while more about how his band mates had received after he spent the whole night out and about my plan for the day, which consisted on staying home and binge watch a series. And then I hung up because I was starving, the sun was setting and Juliet wasn't home yet.

I walked back into the house and headed straight to the kitchen to make something for dinner, I guess my desire for food as bigger than my desire to see Juliet. I loved being in Juliet's home because he always allowed me to cook, and I always did traditional Mexican home dishes, and she enjoyed it.

I pulled some bean soup or frijoles colados out of the fridge to heat them while I cooked some cheese and chorizo quesadillas. I turned up everything, made the quesadillas and went to pick up Juliet's note.

Lexie:

There's been an emergency and I had to go back to Pasadena to spend some days. I believe there's enough food for you to survive. Call me if you need anything.

Juju.

"Damn," I said.

I texted her, just to make sure she was okay, since she was basically my savior during the summer, and the fall, and winter, and spring and summer once again. She didn't reply but I was sure she was going to do when she had time, and I didn't want to be a bother. Also, I didn't want to be alone but I didn't have any other friends to make me some company, although I had just made one.

I hesitated on whether inviting him over or not, because it was going to be weird since I just rejected to have a date with him. Yet, my loneliness won over me, so I pressed dial on my phone.

"I'm all alone. Do you want to come over. I will text you my address."

"Sure," he said and I could hear the excitement in his voice. "Do you want me to bring something?"

"Chocolate chips, popcorn and..." I could smell my quesadillas burning in the kitchen. "Bring a pizza. My dinner just burned."

Luke got to Juliet's place in less than an hour, I mean, I was half expecting since I had to make him go buy food for my pleasure, but it gave me time to get the place in order, and change into something more comfortable, which meant some loose sweatpants and a blink-183 over-sized band shirt.

When I opened the door, there he was standing with a box of pizza, the chocolate chips and two bags of popcorn waiting to be placed in the microwave. He was smiling, humming one of those songs Juliet like so much, one of her favorite band. I rolled my eyes, knowing they would get along just fine.

I opened the door more to let him and guided him to the living room, where he placed the pizza box.

"I was surprised when I got your call," Luke said scratching the back of his neck. I smiled nervously and rubbed the chubbiest part of my arm. "I mean, you rejected my invitation for date."

"But I'm sure I told we had to be friends first. What better way than binge watching a series with this hot mama?"

He laughed. When he laughed he tended to open his mouth a lot, and you could see with big, white teeth. Plus, his laugh came kind of in a fast motion, like he pushed it and pulled it back in immediately, it was kind of cute. I laughed with him, but my laugh was so much deeper than my actual voice and it was like the one of an evil witch. Then his laughing intensified and it couldn't stop.