Chapter 11

Rydel reacted immediately, and Dragonfly and Mum were soon busy weaving various charms and spells to protect the mountain and the people residing within it. There was no doubt that there would be battle, but Rydel planned to face King Zelrox's army out in the open...after we'd cut down their numbers while we had the advantage of height. It was the morning after the group had finally returned to Boregorst Mountain, and already I could see the ungainly black mass obscuring the faint outline of Norwell Castle.

We were given a brief reprieve; the dragon was still circling the skies above the village. After the theft of the dragon hearts, and the attempted murder, no doubt King Zelrox wanted the protection, what with his trusted sidekick waging war on the Freedom Fighters. I wondered briefly if he'd noticed Hunter 9's disappearance. Did he care? The answer was immediately negative. I regretted telling Rydel about the coming army straightaway; Pegasus was banned from crossing the desert to graze, resigned to any small grassy patches he came upon in the mountaintops.

It also meant that I was detailed a spy to keep me from "doing anything reckless". As if. There were four drawbacks to Rydel's plan.

1) It was Luka.
2) I couldn't shake him off long enough to saddle Pegasus and escape into the mountains for any practice.
3) I hated being tailed.
4) It was Luka.

It wasn't long before I asked politely for Rydel to assign someone else to follow me like a lovesick puppy. At first the half-elf resisted, but when he saw my face and guessed correctly that it would not end well for the werewolf, he relented and gave me Dragonfly instead, ignoring my suggestion about Finch or Kipper. Apparently she'd finished weaving her spells and charms; she called them jinxes. In some ways, she was even worse. Where Luka was all for snide remarks and strictly following the rules, Dragonfly just sat there, watching. I could rebuke Luka, I could tell him where to shove his opinion, but I couldn't even tell Dragonfly to shut up. If I asked her a question, she replied with a riddle in that dreamy voice of hers. I hated riddles.

I lasted exactly twenty-six hours and two minutes under surveillance. The second night, when the advancing army was only a day and a half away, I just got up, saddled Pegasus and left. She didn't try to stop me, and when I looked back with a slight tinge of fear, she hadn't moved to tell Rydel. I soon forgot about it, and Pegasus guided me into the mountaintops, far away from civilization and any form of life. He descended into a valley where a grassy patch about the size of a football field sat undisturbed by wildlife.

For the first hour we practiced both offensive and defensive manoeuvres; dives, loops, swerves, everything I could think of. I wanted to be prepared, and I wanted Nadu's death to be at my hands. I pondered over Dragonfly's words, and asked Pegasus for his opinion.

Well, light absorbs shadow, doesn't it? If we create a light bright enough, any creation of Nadu's will be useless against us because it will simply be absorbed.

He wouldn't be stupid enough to come armed with nothing but his own Shadow. I replied.

So take your bow and arrow. Pegasus suggested, before he snorted. The likelihood you'll get close enough to battle by sword is unlikely, considering I'm the first target and the only thing keeping you in the air. I didn't rebuke his observation. He told the truth. Instead, I changed the subject and began wondering aloud why we hadn't been able to Connect.

Are we just not compatible enough? I asked.

You're the daughter of King Zelrox, one of the seven Riders. As much as you or I loathe it, his power runs in your veins. Therefore, it runs in my veins. If we can't do it, no one can. Pegasus replied. He stood firm when I tried to disagree, and I gave up. Maybe you need to call your fire forward first? Almost like a warmup or something. Pegasus suggested. I shrugged; it couldn't hurt to try.