*Chapter 5*

First published: June 18th 2018
Last edited: 1st March 2022

Words: 1781

Y/N looked around the elevator uncomfortably. This thing was probably older than her. A health hazard waiting to happen. Wasn't there a theory that if you jumped at the exact moment a lift fell you would survive? Y/N tried to think of that as the elevator rattled and slowly rose. Y/N took in her surroundings. Her anxiety wasn't helped by the fact that Connor was looking straight ahead as if nothing was there. She nudged Hank.

"What is he doing?" she asked motioning to Connor with her head.
"Beats me." Hank shrugged. "I've learned not to question it." The elevator came to the floor they needed. Y/N and Hank stepped out while Connor remained inside.
"Hey, Connor!" Hank shouted back into the elevator. Connor blinked a few times and his LED which was previously yellow had returned to its usual blue. "You ran out of batteries or what?"
"I'm sorry, I was making a report to Cyberlife." Connor apologized.

"Did you have to be so creepy? You looked like a zombie." Y/N joked. Hank laughed.
"I shall warn you in the future." Connor continued to stand in the elevator looking at the two humans.
"Well, do you plan on staying in the elevator?" Hank asked lifting his hands. 
"No!" Connor quickly defended. "I'm coming." Hank sighed and began to walk to the apartment.
"So what do we know about this guy?" They hadn't been given an official case file or notes. Only what Connor had been sent digitally to his head.

"Not much. Just that a neighbor reported that he heard strange noises coming from this floor. Nobody's supposed to be living here, but the neighbors said they saw a man hiding an LED under his cap."
"Oh, Christ. If we have to investigate every time someone hears a strange noise, we're gonna need more cops." Hank complained,

"Or a mystery machine." Y/N joked trying to lift the mood.
"I do not follow," Connor said.
"You could be Fred, Hank!" Y/N said carrying on with her joke. 
"And who would you two be? Shaggy and Scooby?" Hank began to joke too. Y/N looked between herself and Connor.
"Who would be who?" She narrowed her eyes. 
"Oh, he's Scooby. For sure." He smirked looking Connor up and down.
"I do not understand. Who is 'scooby'?" Connor asked.

"You know. A Cartoon dog who investigated crimes involving ghosts and stuff. Did they not put this vital information into your head?" Y/N was jokingly shocked. Connor stayed silent. "Fred is the lead investigator. Shaggy is at the wrong place at the right time and saves the day and Scooby... he's not the smartest and kinda follows everyone around. Although he is a talking dog!"
"But I am intelligent. I have the entire intelligence database created by Cyberlife in memory." Connor said looking offended.
"Fine," Hank replied crossing his arms looking Connor in the eye. "You can be Velma."
"Who's..."
"Just knock on the Goddamned door Connor." 

Connor knocked on the door rather gently. There was no answer. He knocked again harder.
"Anybody home?" Connor asked politely. Hank gave him a look. "Open up! Detroit police!" There was a loud bang from inside the apartment. Hank pushed Connor back.
"Stay behind us."
"Got it." Both Hank and Y/N pulled their guns out as Connor moved back a few more steps. Hank kicked the door open and they entered. 

The place was filthy and the walls were falling apart. There was no electricity in the apartment meaning the only light was natural light making it slightly difficult to see due to the lack of windows. At the end of the corridor were two closed doors. The other doors in the corridor were open. Hank quickly checked one of the doors but it only lead to a bathroom. He stood in front of the other door.

"Ready?" He asked. Y/N silently nodded. Gun ready if necessary. Hank hit the door open and pigeons flew out. Y/N screamed and ducked down.
"What the Hell is this?" Hank shouted.
"Exactly that. Hell!" Y/N shouted back.
"Detective Y/L/N." Connor said.
"What." She replied rather annoyed that the world existed right now.

"Your gun is still loaded. As you are scared and you seem to have lost control of your arms. The probability of the gun going off on its own has increased by three times." Y/N whimpered removing her hands from her head and putting the safety back on her gun.
"I fucking hate birds." She mumbled. Connor noted this was the first time she had sworn since meeting her. "So unpredictable. One moment you are walking peacefully down the sidewalk then bam! A bird is in your face. Ugh! Rats with wings!"

"Shit they stink!" Hank shouted. He had managed to get further into the room. Y/N was still on the floor. "Looks like we came here for nothing! Our man is gone."
"Does that mean we can go now?" Y/N asked.
"We still have to investigate this goddamned place." Y/N slowly stood up realizing that the birds were walking around on the floor. She might be safer from them if she stood up.
"Well, let's do this quick and try not to disturb them."

They began to look around. Y/N squeaking with fear every time a bird came near her. Which in this apartment was a lot. She sounded a lot like a vehicle reversing. Connor looked at a jacket on the floor.
"R.T. probably initials," Connor commented.
"He put his initials in his jacket? That's something your mom does when you're in first grade!" Hank scoffed.

They looked on the walls around them in the bathroom and saw the phrase. 'RA9' Connor counted them all and noted that it was written 2471 times. Alongside the RA9s were mazes drawn on the walls. Connor turned to the sink where he found a little blue circle. Y/N leaned forward to get a closer look.
"It's LED is in the sink!" Connor shouted so Hank could hear.
"Wait, you guys can do that?" Y/N asked looking at Connor's own LED, she had to resist the urge to touch it.
"If deviants don't want to be seen in public yes. However, it is against the law to remove any androids LED."
"If I were deviant. I think I would remove my LED. Imagine how different it would feel for an android. People on the street would think you were just another person. You'd be treated like... an equal."

Software instability

Connor dipped his fingers into the blue blood on the sink and put them to his tongue.
"Connor! Hank told you not to do that!" Y/N scolded. 
"I'm sorry. But it is a part of my mission to locate deviants. To do this I need to sample blood to know the model." Y/N grimaced. Just because he had to do it, it didn't make it any less gross. 
"Fine. Okay. Just don't let Hank see you." Connor nodded before exiting the bathroom. He bent down in front of a birdcage on the floor.

"For the number of birds I would expect more cages," Y/N commented trying to step over a bird in her way. Suddenly Connor stood up. And Y/N thought only birds were unpredictable and fly in your face. He walked over to the corner of the room where there was a particularly large hole in the ceiling. Suddenly a deviant jumped from the hole landing on top of Connor.

"Connor!" Y/N shouted. Pigeons were flying everywhere at the commotion.
"God Damn pigeons!" Hank shouted. Connor stood up and looked out of the door. "What are you waiting for?! Chase it!" and with that Connor was off.
"Damn, he can run fast." Y/N commented.
"If he had any sense. Away from you." Y/N glared at Hank before they began to walk in the direction the androids had gone. Hank and Y/N saw them jumping from building to building across barley and lavender fields.

"Look Hank. They are starting to come back on themselves. Maybe we can cut them off?" Y/N suggested as she was pointing at the androids. Not as quickly the two ran trying to catch up in some way. They reached the rail of the agriculture building and saw Connor flawlessly land on the roof of a moving train.

"Holy Shit!" Hank said. He was impressed. This guy was indestructible. They saw the two androids jump off the train and run further away from them.
"How are we going to get to them now? We have no clue where they'll go now! We've lost them." Y/N said in despair.
"That's where you're wrong rookie." Y/N looked at Hank. If he had an opportunity to teach Y/N something new he would.

"What do you mean?" She asked. She was certain they had lost the two androids. 
"If deviants have human emotions or... Whatever. They are going to act like humans. That weirdo cared for those pigeons, so it will try and come back to them. Just like a human would about something they cared about." Y/N looked around the roof. They couldn't come back from the train's direction so the only way he could come back for the pigeons would be through the field.

"Hank he's gonna come from there." She pointed to the field. The stalks of the crop were so high. There was no way to pinpoint exactly where the android would come from. Suddenly he burst through the stalks catching them slightly off guard.
"STOP RIGHT THERE!" Hank ordered pointing his gun at the android. Fearing for its life the android pushed Hank away from it and continued running. Hank tripped over the small ledge on the edge of the building and was about to fall off completely.
"Hank!" Y/N shouted. She grabbed hold of his arm but couldn't lift him. Connor came from the field. "Connor! Please help! I can't pull him up!"

Software instability

Connor rushed over and effortlessly pulled Hank back up to safety.
"Shit!" Hank cursed. "We had it!"
"It's my fault." Connor said almost shamefully. "I should have been faster."
"You would have caught it if it weren't for me."
"Connor. You shouldn't be ashamed. You are a hero. You saved Hanks life!" Y/N said breathlessly. 
"We know what it looks like, We'll find it." Hank began to walk away out of breath himself. His heart was beating fast in his chest. He spun to face his two partners again. "Hey Connor." Connor turned around. "Nothing." Hank went back to walking away. Y/N nudged Connor.
"If you wanted to get on his good side. I think you just did it."