Chapter 39: He Was There

The air of the hospital was literally going to make my illness worst if I didn’t get out of this room soon. So I decided to climb out of the bed to have a night winter air of freshness. Grabbing onto a warm coat that was left by the nurse, I came out of the heated room and headed down to one of the hallways.

The lights were dim as usual and I was wondering where Taylor could be at the moment. I just smiled when I think of her. Maybe she’s buying me some evening snacks that I can eat. I thought.

I glanced around and started to sneak through the hospital even though I wasn’t supposed to. Basically I wasn’t allowed to get out of bed, unless I was supervised by another person that I knew or a staff member of the hospital. But no one was there, literally, and I guess a five minute walk won’t hurt anyone; so I continued off my journey to find the exit of the hospital.

Walking around a little longer, which I guess had passed far more than five minutes, I was basically lost. But every time I saw doctors or nurses, I dodged and hid myself behind something like a wall, table or even the metal bins by the corners, which seemed really clean on the outside, but quite smelly when you get too close.

Smiling to myself I walked passed a hallway and felt cold air rushing on my left. I stopped and turned back to that hallway and found a narrow path. Well, it was not actually narrow, but because it was so empty, it seemed narrow. I raised an eyebrow and headed towards the opening of the hospital. Feeling the fresh air brushing against my skin, I didn’t feel any shiver down my spine; which meant that I was getting much better already.

But under the dim lights, I saw two people standing there. A boy and a girl. I laughed to myself, Typical to find a couple in the hospital. But when I looked closer, my eyes widened. It was Taylor and Harris.

***

I simply reacted and pushed Harris out. I stared at him intently. “Harris…” I trembled on my own words, “but you’re my best friend...”

Harris glanced away and lowered his head, “Please don’t use those same words.” He paused and looked directly at my eyes. “I didn’t know why I have fallen for you or when was it.” He sighed, “But–”

I gazed at him, I literally didn’t know what to do anymore. I didn’t know what to say to him anymore. I just froze there. I didn’t even know what was going on. I just didn’t know how to interpret this. Harris was always my best friend. I never viewed him differently other than that.

“I couldn’t stop thinking about you for a minute.” He said quietly. “And that was when I knew I’ve loved you.” His eyes lowered again.

I paused and glanced back at him. I tried to open my mouth to something to ease this atmosphere, but nothing came out. I tried again, but as before; nothing.

“Rosanna…” He said.

My eyes glanced down and I whispered softly, “When did you know?” I asked.

Harris’ eyes widened, I knew that he didn’t expected me to answer him like that. But instead his eyes shined gently as he smiled, “When you went to your first mission during the academy,” he replied. “I was worried that something could happen to you. And for days, I couldn’t think of anything else but you. But when you came back with your happy smile that you have accomplished your mission, successfully, my heart felt like it had life again.” He paused. “That’s when I knew.”

I didn’t know that. Well, of course I didn’t. But I didn’t even know that Harris loved me so long ago. I’ve heard jokes that the guys said something about Harris’ girl during the academy. But I never thought that he was always thinking of me. That first mission was in my second year of Black Arrow Academy; and that was like eight years ago. I looked up at him again and saw his green eyes lightly glittering to me. I lowered my head and didn’t say anything else.