Maliha motioned for Enzo to be calm as the men cloaked in black tranced through the forest. The air was stifled with darkness, an icy coldness pin-pricking over Maliha's flesh. Black pulses of energy twined around their forms like living beings, floating in a cloak of obsidian.

A silent gasp wisped from Nkechi's lips as the cloak of one of the hooded figures fell away from their head. Black veins bled from his eyes and rippled throughout his face, turning their tanned skin into something out of nightmares.

Maliha snapped away from the frightening sight and locked eyes with Enzo. She tried to convey positive thoughts through her eyes. Holding his gaze with her own loving stare until the chill that has clung to the air began to melt away.

They stayed inside the tree for what felt like hours, only climbing back down to the earth once the sound of wildlife had returned.

"Who were they?" Sniffled Enzo, his grey eyes milky with tears.

"That was the Svolik, Enzo and the reason I left you behind. I didn't want to expose you to the possibility of seeing them."

Enzo buried his head into Maliha's side as they waited for Nkechi to reach the earth.

"They are gone now but we must make haste in case they double back. The Der Surjaz claim does not extend this far out."

Maliha gripped Enzo's hand in hers and followed after Nkechi.

They barely stopped for the rest of the day, only halting a few moments to take care of their basic needs. It wasn't until nightfall that they finally stopped.

"I came through here on my way. Just up there is a cave that I have marked and so it will be safe from both animal and man."

"How did you mark it?"

Both women were surprised by Enzo's question as he had remained subdued after witnessing some of the dangers that waited for them throughout this journey.

"I marked it with majic." Nkechi grinned, climbing up the rocky terrain. "Majic and piss."

"Piss?" Maliha spluttered, almost stumbling down the rocks in shock.

"Yes," laughed Nkechi, "I made a territorial claim, so no animal could step into my cave and I warded it with some rosemary that grows nearby. Sage would be better, but the rosemary will hold for the night."

Enzo laughed at Maliha's flabbergasted face before bounding up to the cave and stepping inside.

"It doesn't smell like piss. It smells nice"

Maliha's mouth hung wide before she burst into laughter. She knew she should reprimand Enzo for using that word, but she couldn't, not when he looked so happy standing inside the small dark cave that smelled sweet and pure as if lightness dwelled there.

"If the cave has Enzo's approval then it has mine," agreed Maliha.

"Good, now let's build a fire so we can eat."

She slung the dead animal from her back and dropped its carcass to the floor before pointing Maliha in the direction of the pile of wood she had previously gathered. The tent was sparse and small with nothing in it but the few pieces of log, but it would do. Maliha started the fire and then stepped out into the cool night to gather a large handful of leaves. She placed them in the far corner of the cave and then pulled out a small shall from her bag and placed it over the leaves to form a bed.

Nkechi placed the dead animal over the fire and began cooking it slowly. Once it was cooked she handed the pieces out to each person before

"I don't think we will last long out here. Nah Barros land is at the least a two-week journey on feet and we have no resources."