Chapter Twenty Five

Start from the beginning

"Okay Kylie Santiago. Are you ready to perform the routine?" Bianca asked me.

"Are you ready?" I asked back with a daring smile before the music started and I danced, flipped and jumped to the beat.

*

After leaving the school from tryouts --which I thought I absolutely nailed btw-- I headed home. I felt energetic and happy and I honestly had hope that I would make the team. There were limited positions available, but I believe I made a lasting impression on all of the judges. Amie was called shortly after me and she felt the same way I did, so our fingers were definitely crossed.

I walked into the house to see Levi retreating to his room. He looked at me for a split second, but he didn't say anything. He'd been pretty solitary since we found out about his dad's death, but I could understand how he felt. I did the same thing when my mom died, but I had someone there for me no matter what. Him.

"How were tryouts?" Ms. Tompkins asked, snapping me out of my thoughts. She seemed a little too peppy considering her husband had just died, but she was a cheerleader when she was in high school and college, I think.

"Oh they were great," I replied. "We should know if we made the team by tomorrow afternoon."

She smiled at me before grabbing her keys. "Well, dinner's on the stove if you're hungry. I have to go run a few errands," she spoke before kissing me on the cheek and exiting through the garage.

I sat my bags down and walked into the kitchen, enjoying the delightful aroma every step I took towards the stove. She'd prepared Manicotti and the site of the dish nearly made me faint. I was beyond starving and surely my mouth was watering by now.

I went over to the sink and washed my hands thoroughly before fixing myself a plate and sitting at the table. Every bite was pure heaven and this was possibly one of my favorite meals from Ms. Tompkins. She was a pro around the kitchen for sure.

After eating and cleaning up, I went upstairs to take a shower. I let the steamy beads wash away any of my worries as I thought of Levi. I didn't feel bad that we weren't together anymore and I didn't feel bad about how us not being together anymore happened. If everything hadn't played out how it did, I never would've gotten that time I spent with Tyler. The only thing I regretted was losing our friendship along the way. We both were in the wrong, so why did I have to hold a grudge? Here he was going through a rough time and though things were awkward between us, I wanted to be there for him. I mean, he'd been there for me whenever something bad happened to me in the past. My mom dying, my dad kicking me out, when I broke my leg in the 5th grade, he was there for me every single time, no complaints. So why should my support for him be any different?

I got out of the shower and dried off with my towel. Next, I put on my pajamas, brushed my teeth and washed my face.

I wiped the fog off of the mirror with my sleeve before looking into it and taking a deep breath. I was going to try and fix.. Us. I knew it would be hard, but years down the line, I didn't want it to be my fault that we couldn't even say a decent 'hello' to each other. At least I would be able to say that I tried.

I opened the bathroom door and headed to Levi's room. His door was creaked open a little and I could see him sitting on his bed with his head in his palms.

I backed away before knocking on the door and pushing it open a little.

His head shot up to me before his gaze returned to the floor.

"Can we talk?" I asked lowly.

"No," he replied bluntly.

I wasn't taking no for an answer. I said I would at least try.