twenty

Now I just have to get her out of there.

I think I might know someone who can help...

Jonathan Byers.  If I had to choose one word to describe him, it would be creepy.  Although I don't know him very well, I had heard about the perverted photos he had taken of Nancy from my brother.  He warned me to stay away from him and that the guy was a freak.  Naturally, I started paying more attention to him.

Jonathan always had a tired expression on his face like he hadn't slept for days, maybe even weeks.  I imagine that he doesn't sleep because he likes to stay up all night processing his creepy photos.

If I had to choose one word to describe the place I had just seen Barb in, it would be creepy.  What could be better than putting a creepy guy in a creepy place.  Now, I don't really know how he would be able to help, but I'm sure he'll think of something.

"I guess I know her.  I'm sorry, what are you doing here?"  I had just asked Jonathan if he knew Barb.  He answered partly and then looked at me in disgust, assuming I was just like my brother.

"Look, I know you and my brother don't really get along, but that shouldn't stop you from helping his sister who is nothing like him.  C'mon, I just need your help getting my friend back-"  I was interrupted by a boy who appeared behind Jonathan, realizing it was Will.  "Hi, Will."  He smiled at me and stood beside his brother.

"Hey, Arabella.  Jonathan, I'm going over to Mike's."

"I'll give you a ride.  Bella, you can come along and tell more about what's going on."  I smiled and got in the car with Jonathan and Will.

***

We made it to Mike's house and the whole way there I explained Barb's situation.  Jonathan told me how Will had just gone through this and how he wasn't really the same.  He had episodes every so often.

Mrs. Wheeler invited us in for some cookies.  We talked about what we were learning in school and how our families were doing.  There was a knock on the door before we could switch to a new subject.

Mrs. Wheeler opened the door to reveal Billy.  I immediately looked down at my cookie to avoid any eye contact whatsoever.

"I'm here to pick up Max.  I heard she was here."  Billy's familiar, deep voice sounded from just a few feet away.

"Of course, honey.  She'll be up in a minute.  Do you all know each other?"  We all slightly nodded, all of us avoiding each other's gaze.  "Well, you're all so talkative, aren't you?  Oh!  Billy, sweetheart, come and sit next to Bella.  Have a cookie."  Mrs. Wheeler handed him a cookie as he begrudgingly sat down next to me.

"Uh, Bella, we should probably get going." Jonathan looked at me and automatically knew I wanted to get away from the tension with Billy. "I'll be back for Will in a few hours. Thanks for the cookies, Mrs. Wheeler." Max came up from the basement just as we were about to leave. Billy stood, acted sweet and caring to Max in front of Mrs. Wheeler and went to walk out the door behind us.

I was pulled gently by my wrist away from Jonathan.

"So you got a new boyfriend now, huh?" He lit a cigarette and glared at Jonathan as he walked to his car. "You prefer that freak over me?" His glare only seemed to harden.

"He's not my boyfriend. He's just helping me with something." Billy glanced at Max to see her waiting impatiently in the car.

"What do you need his help for? You could have asked me...". He exhaled the smoke and turned his glare on me.

"I thought you hated me!  I ruined our date and you were upset with me and then you made out with Heather...  can we just talk about this later? I have to go get Barb."  I started to walk away, but once again, I was pulled back.

"This Barb thing again?  You have got to stop with this!  She's dead, Bella!!"  He threw his arms in the air as if he were exhausted with telling me this.

"No she's not! I saw her...". Billy froze and looked down at me.  One of his hands cupped my face, his thumb grazing my cheekbone.

"Don't tell me you're hallucinating, princess."

"I have to go."

-blazingdemon