Chapter 9

I was scared.

I had been scared since the thing happened at the church. The markings were still on my arm. My body felt like it was being pulled into two different directions. I haven't left the church because Father told me not to. I could tell Father Decane was worried. He tried putting on a brave face, but I could feel it in his soul. Perks of being a soul, I can always tell what a person is feeling. Or maybe it was more of a curse. Anyway, both of us were scared and whatever was happening wasn't good. Hopping lightly on the stones, I waited for Father Decane to come back.

"Rosie."

I looked towards the side entrance of the church to see Father Decane walk in. Behind him was a man. He had neatly kept white hair, was taller than Father Decane, and had brown eyes. Even though he had a smile towards me, there was something I didn't like about him. I stopped hopping, hiding my hands behind my back. Father Decane came over to me, putting his hand on my shoulders.

"Rosie, it's okay," Father Decane said, "This is an old friend of mine, Mr. J.C. Cleator."

"Hello," Rosie said, shyly.

"Rosie." Mr. Cleator's voice was deep and gruff. "I take it she's almost ready to pass on. I can feel it in her soul."

"Pass on...?" I asked fearfully. I looked up at Father Decane, who squeezed my shoulder reassuringly.

"She is almost ready," Father said, "But that is not why I called."

"I'm aware," Mr. Cleator said, staring at me coldly, "Just getting a grasp for what the situation is. Rosie, Father Decane told me that markings appeared on your arm?"

"Yes," I said.

"Can I see them?"

Before I could even show him, he took hold of my right arm and extended it. He examined the markings, running a finger over it. I wanted to pull my arm away, but his grip was far too strong. The markings burned as he traced the letters. I sniffled, shaking as I tried not to cry.

"Keep still," he said impatiently.

"J.C. please," Father Decane said, "She's been through quite a bit."

"And I need her to be still," he said, "Now be quiet."

Father Decane fell silent, looking nervous. I was nervous. I really didn't like him. He wasn't very nice at all. But I wanted to know what this thing on my arm was. So, I stood there as still as I could. Mr. Cleator finally stopped tracing the marks and let go of my arm. I pulled it close to my chest, massaging my aching wrist nervously. 

"It is as we suspected," Mr. Cleator said, "This is a curse."

"A curse?" I stammered, "I thought curses weren't real."

"Magical curses aren't real," Mr. Cleator corrected sharply, "However, curses are as real as blessings and have been since Creation. I thought you educated your flock, Decane."

"I educate my flock appropriately, J.C.," Father Decane said, frowning, "Why would she be cursed? She has done nothing to deserve this!"

"The curse isn't punishing her, but someone else," Mr. Cleator said, "Some curses are placed to protect from the sins of others. Rosie is just one of the millions of the Betweens that have just been sealed by this curse to protect the Spiritual Realm from the sin of man. This has happened twice before in the records of the Celestials. None of them can move on to the Heavenly Plane or be dragged down to the Fiery Brimstone of-!"

"Cleator!" Father Decane's voice boomed as I trembled, "Enough. Why have the Betweens been cursed to the Spiritual Realm?"

"I already said; to protect from the Sin of Man," Mr. Cleator said rudely. He turned his attention back to me, his eyes boring into me. I swallowed nervously as he asked his questions.

"Have you seen anything in the Spiritual Realm? Anything that has been unusual, Rosie?"

Swallowing, I couldn't help but think back to the library. That Between had been strange, even Celestial had said so. But the way Mr. Cleator was looking at me was not kind. Something seemed off with him and I didn't trust him. Shaking my head, I looked down at the ground whispering, "No."

"Then I will take my leave. I have other important matters to attend to," Mr. Cleator said, "Rosie will be fine. Whatever is happening is not because of her."

Mr. Cleator turned and walked away, his hands stuffed into his suit pockets. I sighed in slight relief, wanting him to be gone. Father Decane had other ideas.

"Wait," Father Decane said, loudly, "Why has the curse been placed?"

Mr. Cleator stopped, turning around to face us. He did not move to come back, but he stared long and hard at us. He seemed like he was debating on answering, taking a long time before speaking again.

"The last time this happened was because a living person was pulled into the Spiritual Plane."