Chapter 2

"Don't let it get away!!"

Dashing through the park, I raced at top neck speed. The colorful trees and plants whizzed by me. Leaves crunched underneath my feet as I felt a tingling up my spine. It was close, I could feel it. Which was good because it was concealing itself from me and my friend. Something I wouldn't let it do much longer.

"Come on out, pequeño demonio," I muttered, trying to feel it out. It was close, but something was keeping me from feeling it out. It was as if it was taunting me. Growling, I came to a stop. Staring around, I barely acknowledged my friend coming up beside me panting heavily.

"Come on, Celestial!!" he gasped, desperate for air, "We-We are- going to be late!"

"Shh!" I said, snappishly, "I'm trying to focus."

While my friend caught his breath, I bent down and touched the earth. Closing my eyes, I focused on the energy within. It took a moment but I felt it. The soft glow of the earth's quiet souls. The glow stretched across the park, reaching out for me.

All except one place.

"Gotcha," I said, snapping my fingers, "Lanza de los Ángeles!"

A silver light struck out at a nearby bush, exploding light upon impact. A loud screech filled the air, shadows smoking from the bush. It formed into a small creature, formless in nature. It's eyes glowed eerily as it turned it's focus on us. A Nameless Demon. Piece of cake.

"Sello de Dios!!" Matthew's voice called out slamming his hands into the earth.

Vines shot up from the ground and struck the demon. It screeched, trying to escape. The more it struggled the more the vines sprouted up to grab it. The vines twisted around the demon like a cocoon, trapping it with and dragging it back down into the earth. We watched as the earth smoothed out into nothing, a solitary white lily sprouting.

Our work was done.

For now.

"Mmm, that was a nice run," I said, stretching my arms. The cool air ran through my tunic sweatshirt, tickling my skin. Matthew glared at me as I turned to face him.

"What?" I grinned at him shamelessly.

"Only you would call that a nice run, Tia," Matthew huffed, adjusting his glasses and swiping his hair back.

"Aww come on," I pouted, "That demon's been terrorizing the nights for all children! Especially Rosie."

"And I'm sure she'll love you for getting rid of it," Matthew said, taking one last deep breath, "But what I can tell you is that we will not be loved for being late for school!"

Ah Matthew. My favorite Nerd. Only he would worry about being late for school. Rolling my eyes, I walked back down the path saying, "Meh. We've got time. Race you back to the road!"

I dashed off down the path, running towards the main road. I could hear him groaning but that didn't stop him from following behind. The fresh autumn breeze whirled around me, leaving my cheeks and hands pink. Scooping up my backpack on the bench, I waited for Matthew to catch up.

"You hate me," Matthew wheezed, "You really, really must hate me."

"Nonsense Matthew Brians," I said as he picked up his own backpack, "I'm quite fond of you."

He rolled his eyes but grinned sheepishly. Walking along the sidewalk, I couldn't help but take in the beautiful sights of fall. Linking arms with me, Matthew asked, "So Celestial Perris, are you ready for today's math test."

"Never in a million years," I said swiftly.

"Oh come on," Matthew said, "You told me you were studying last night."