Chapter 33: I Will Have War

After being kicked out of the mountain, I had joined Bard and Thranduil. I was mounted on Firebolt as I rode up towards Erebor alongside Bard and Thranduil. Peepicheek stood on my shoulder while Ironhoof, Trumpkin, Trufflehunter, Jemain, and Tavros stood with the elves and men from Dale. Thorin then shot an arrow in front of Thranduil. "I will put the next one between your eyes."

The dwarves cheered for Thorin. My heart fell when my eyes met Fili. It wasn't long until he saw me. I saw pain in his eyes. However the moment didn't last long. At that moment Thranduil motioned to his army to aim their arrows at them, causing the dwarves hide behind the stone wall. Once they hid behind the wall, Thranduil motioned his army to stand down.

"We've come to tell you payment of your debt has been offered and accepted." Thranduil informed him.

Thorin scoffed. "What payment? I gave you nothing. You have nothing."

Bard then took out a jewel that must've been the Arkenstone as Thorin was constantly describing it and going on about how we couldn't miss it if one of us ever laid eyes on it. I stared at it in awe. I thought he was joking...I never thought it was this beautiful and magnificent.

"We have this." Bard said as he raised the jewel in the air.

The dwarves' faces fell. Kili was the first to speak. "They have the Arkenstone. Thieves! How came you by the heirloom of our house? That stone belongs to the king."

"The king may have it, with our good will." Bard replied before placing the Arkenstone back in his coat. "But first he must honor his word."

"They're taking us for fools. This is a ruse, and a filthy lie. The Arkenstone is in this Mountain, it is a trick!" Thorin shot back.

"I-it's no trick. The stone is real. I gave it to them." Bilbo spoke out, causing me to worry.

Thorin is not himself, he's consumed by the sickness. Who knows what he'll do to Bilbo for giving them his precious jewel. Thorin slowly turned around to face Bilbo. "You?"

Bilbo nodded. "I took it as my fourteenth share."

"You would steal from me?" Thorin questioned.

"Steal from you? No, no. I may be a burglar, but I like to think I'm an honest one. I'm willing to let it stand against my claim." Bilbo protested.

Thorin chuckled before his anger rose. "Against your claim? Your claim? You have no claim over me, you miserable rat!"

I then noticed Bilbo becoming rather nervous, but he remained strong as he spoke to him. "I was going to give it to you. Many times I wanted to, but..."

"But what, thief?" Thorin retorted.

"You are changed, Thorin. The dwarf I met in Bag End would never have gone back on his word, would never have doubted the loyalty of his kin." Bilbo reminded him.

"Do not speak to me of loyalty." Thorin rebuked before turning to the dwarves. "Throw him from the rampart!"

My eyes widened. What?! I watched in horror as the dwarves didn't move, causing Thorin to become even more furious. "Did you not hear me?! I will do it myself."

Thorin then grabbed Bilbo, causing the dwarves to intervene. "I curse you!"

"Thorin! Don't hurt him!" I yelled.

Thorin ignored me as he continued. "Cursed be the wizard that forced you on this company!"

At that moment Gandalf approached us. "If you don't like my burglar, then please don't damage him. Return him to me.
You're not making a very splendid figure as King under the Mountain, are you, Thorin, son of Thrain?"

I held my breath waiting to see what Thorin would do. And finally Thorin released Bilbo, allowing him to make his way towards us.

"Never again will I have dealings with wizards! Or Shire rats!" Thorin spat before he looked over my way. "Or with liars who claim to be of a different world!"

My jaw tightened at his words. I remained calm, remembering that this wasn't the real Thorin. If I say anything it'll make matters worse. I had a thought that I tried to ignore all this time, but what if Thorin couldn't defeat this dragon sickness? Once Bilbo had joined us, Bard spoke. "Are we resolved? The return of the Arkenstone for what was promised."

I then furrowed my brows when I saw Thorin looking over the horizon as if he was expecting someone. What's he looking for? 

"Give us your answer." Bard urged. "Will you have peace or war?"

At that moment a black raven landed in front of Thorin, causing him to smile. "I will have war."