Chapter 9: The Meeting

Saruman narrowed his eyes at me. "Who is she?"

"Queen Aurelia from Narnia." Gandalf explained. "She unexpectedly travelled into our world. She may be the one from the prophecy.

Saruman chuckled. "She's the one from the prophecy? Her? She's but a mere child."

"On the contrary, I am 1,329 years old. So I'm as much of a child as you are a fairy princess." I retorted.

Gandalf, Galadriel, and Elrond tried to hide smiles, but failed. Saruman muttered as he glared at me, but he quickly changed the subject to his convenience.

"Tell me, Gandalf, did you think these plans and schemes of yours would go unnoticed?" Saruman asked Gandalf.

"Unnoticed? No, I...I'm simply doing what I feel to be right." Gandalf replied.

"The dragon has long been on your mind." Galadriel pointed out.

"It is true, my lady. Smaug owes allegiance to no one. But if he should side with the enemy, the dragon could be used to terrible effect." Gandalf explained.

"What enemy? Gandalf, the enemy is defeated. Sauron is vanquished. He can never regain his full strength." Saruman argued.

"Gandalf, for four hundred years we have lived in peace. A hard won watchful peace." Elrond explained.

"Are we? Are we at peace? Trolls have come down from the mountains, they are raiding villages, destroying farms. Orcs have attacked us on the road." Gandalf pointed out.

"Hardly a prelude to war." Elrond retorted.

"Always you must meddle. Looking for trouble where none exists!" Saruman snapped.

"Let him speak." Galadriel advised.

"There is something at work beyond the evil of Smaug, something far more powerful. We can remain blind to it, but it will not be ignoring us, that I can promise you. A sickness hides over the Greenwood." Gandalf informed them. "The woodsmen who live there now call it Mirkwook, and...uh, they...they say..."

"Well, don't stop now, tell us what the woodsmen say?"

Gandalf hesitated before speaking. "They speak of a Necromancer, living in Dol Guldur, a sorcerer who can summon the dead."

"That's absurd. No such power exists in this world. This Necromancer is nothing more than a mortal man. A conjurer dabbling in black magic." Saruman protested.

"And so I though too. But Radagast has seen-" Gandalf began, but was cut off by Saruman.

"Radagast? Do not speak to me of Radagast the Brown. He's a foolish fellow."

"Well, he's odd, I grant you. He lives a solitary life."

"It's not that. It's his excessive consumption of mushrooms. They've addled his brain, and yellowed his teeth. I warned him. It is unbefitting one of the Istari wandering the wood..." Saruman ranted.

I tuned out until Elrond's words brought my attention back to the meeting. "What is that?"

I glanced over at the table to see the sword that Radagast gave Gandalf. It was covered in cloth.

"A relic of Mordor." Galadriel said as she stopped pacing around us.

Elrond then opened the cloth to reveal the  sword. "A Morgul blade."

"Made for the Witch-King of Angmar, and buried with him. When Angmar fell, the men of the North took his body, and all that he possessed and sealed it within the high fells of Rhudaur." Galadriel explained. "Deep within the rock they buried him, in a tomb so dark it would never come to light."

"This is not possible. A powerful spell lies upon those tombs, they cannot be opened." Elrond argued.

"What proof do we have this weapon came from Angmar's grave?" Saruman asked.

"I have none." Gandalf merely said.

"Because there is none. Let us examine what we know. A single orc pack has dared to cross the Bruinen. A dagger from a by-gone age has been found. And a human sorcerer who calls himself the Necromancer, has taken up residence in a ruined fortress." Saruman began ranting off again. "It's not so very much, after all. The question of this dwarvish company however, troubles me deeply. I'm not convinced, Gandalf. I do not feel I can condone such a quest.

"If they'd come to me, I might have spare them this disappointment. I will not pretend to understand your reasons for raising their hopes...I'm afraid there's nothing else for it."

He was thankfully interrupted by Lindir, Tavros, Peepicheek, Trumpkin, and Trufflehunter who all approached us.

"My Lord Elrond. The dwarves, they've gone." Lindir informed us.