Chapter 6 - Lonely Hearts

Hello, my dears!

A new update - yey! I actually had doubts about this one - should I keep the chapter in the book or omit it? Some of you have been nudging me to finally get into the story and stop being lovey-gooey with Avery and Jon. I can assure you, they have a whole adventure to go through, don't worry.

I simply don't want to rush their relationship without giving them time to get to know each other. They have been hurt deeply by people and in my humble opinion you just don't start up a conversation about your worst nightmares with a stranger. Admitting your faults, guilt and pain comes like a confession and there are only few close people who you can be that open with. So think of this chapter as a stepping stone in their relationship ( a couple therapy if you will) - they are trying to pick themselves up after they've been hurt and openly courting each other in their own twisted way.

If you don't like it - don't read it. It's as simple as that. (sorry for the rant... I am on a roll these days!)
Xoxo,
SteamyHot

***

Chapter 6 - Lonely hearts

dedicated to @JazCullen who just happens to be my new favorite author. I love "fighting the inevitable". It's the quality of a book that I want to one-day be able to write. Love it!

***

Avery

Avery kept on glancing at him from the corner of eye. She saw him for the very first time not as the Rogue who was trying to establish his control over her, but as a troubled soul with anger issues. Sadly, she had to admit to herself, that she had done nothing but fuel his rage.

His outburst proved that much. While Avery found it old-fashioned that he didn't think that she-wolves should cuss, it still annoyed her that he thought he could manhandle her. Even his obvious pain over his past was not enough of a reason to excuse him.

On the other hand, she did like his resolution to take charge of a situation and rectify it. It showed strength and will power – qualities that she admired. While she still fumed over his rough treatment, she had to admit that she didn't mind being pressed into the couch by his hard body. He was right. He wasn't skinny. Just lean and very well defined, from what Avery felt as he successfully used his weight to restrain her as he was lecturing her on she-wolves and cussing.

It almost made her want to cuss again – purely accidentally of course – to provoke him. What was the worst thing that could happen?

Avery didn't know what to do with Jon. She couldn't just let his behavior go unchecked, but she also felt responsible for lighting his short fuse. She had indeed cussed just to spite him for calling her a nerd. She disliked the word. It implied that she wasn't social enough, which was hardly the case. It also hinted that she was weird around others. She wasn't.

"What will I do with you?" Avery mumbled more to herself and started having her meal. The lamb did taste delicious but her favorite was the side dish – smashed potatoes. By the way that Jon was gulping down the meat; she knew he enjoyed his dinner, too. "Slow down, your plate won't disappear and there are plenty of left overs".

"It is simply that good!" Jon chuckled. "It melts right in my mouth!"

Avery shook her head. It was times like this that she strived for when helping others overcome whatever sorrow and pain they had endured. He was relaxed, calm and taking pleasure in simple things in life. The murderous aura he so easily donned was gone and he was more of an overgrown pup than a dangerous Rogue. He was currently docile and she knew that it was the ideal time to push him for more answers. He would easily admit anything at this moment.