14

"We will be having a group project. Hooray!!" My biology teacher says with enthusiasm. Everybody isn't excited.

"Maybe we'll make it partners. So, find your partner." He said.

The class is quite in relief of doing this project thing because it's by partners. I looked at Rafael and he said he wants to partner with me. So that's what we did...

...and we are interrupted by Mr. Bradley of course.

"On the second thought, I'm the one who'll choose who's your partners. This class became too loud that quick." Oh, man. That suck.

The whole class groans ones again, and then Mr. Bradley gets his class record to choose who will be our partners. This is great. I don't want to be partners with a total stranger it's so panicking. He started picking up names and then I heard...

"Rafael and Alexis"

...I sighed and just accept the fact that we aren't partners. So screw Mr. Bradley. Later on, I heard my name with a person that I never knew in my life, and I don't know if he exists.

"Jacques and Finnegan."

Great.

"Okay so, next week, Monday, will be the deadline and you have to work on it immediately. You guys have all weekend to do it." Mr. Bradley said. He is in serious mode now.

"I'll give you time today to meet your partners and talk about the project." Someone approaches me, another jock I guess.

"So you're Jacques, right? I'm Finn." He gives me his hand for a handshake and I did shake it. It's uncomfortable. I saw that Rafael is watching me even though he's talking with that Alexis.

"So when and where do you want to start the project then?" He asks.

"Maybe Saturday, at my house. Do you have a car?"

"I don't have a car."

"Alright, meet me at McDonald's. I'll pick you up."

"Alright then. See you on Saturday."

The bell rings which means it's a sign that we have to go to our next class.

*

I am with Rafael right now and we are heading to McDonald's because again he wanted to talk. But he never talks while we drove our way through. He looks pissed.

"Uhm, it is quite silent. Are you alright?" I ask out of nowhere.

"Hmmm." He murmured 'uhuh' and still the silence is deafening.

"Okay?" Even though he never says what's the matter I know that there is something.

I went to the Drive-Through, there we ordered two sundaes and three BFF fries. Then we pulled over to the parking lot and from there we eat.

"So, what do you want to talk about?"

"You know that I am not okay when I eat a lot of fries." He stated, avoiding the conversation.

"And I do know that you're not okay in the first place," I said.

"So tell me please, what's the matter?" I added.

"The fact that you shook Finn's hands when you guys first met. Then when I approach you in the library, you said personal space? God, dude. It is offensive you know?" He explained. I understand him.

"You want me to shake your hand too?" I grab his hand and shake it. This is the first time that I held his hand and it is awkward. So awkward it turns out to be very silent.

"It's not the same." He said after he is silent for a little bit.

"We already met so. It is not the same." He's acting like a kid.

"Alright, I'm sorry about that okay? I am just shocked that there is a new person that went into my life... And I don't know. Maybe because I'll never gonna speak to him again after that. That's why I did hold his hand to shake."

"So you don't want to shake my hand in the first place because you want me to be your friend?"

"Exactly," I said dumping a handful of fries to my mouth.

"I thought of it like, if you are comfortable with me being weird and different, you might feel okay with that, then you are worthy to be friends with me too. Because you can stand being with me." I added and he is just silent the whole time.

"I think this type of moment is bizarre. Because look at you. You never speak to anyone and you are very silent and just expressing being you. That's why I wanted to be friends with you for so long now." He said.