Chapter 18: Selfish Intent

TRIGGER WARNING: THE FOLLOWING CHAPTER MAY CONTAIN EVENTS THAT MAY BE DISTURBING TO SOME VIEWERS. VIEWER'S DISCRETION IS ADVICED!

Madeleine's POV

As Erik was being dragged away, I heard a loud, rather raspy yell out of motherly grief as a burly man held me back from the group and the longer I was held, the louder the scream got. At first, I thought it was Evangeline, as she was a better mother than I would ever hope to be, but what surprised me was that even when the screams kept on going, her mouth was closed. That was when I realized that the sound wasn't coming from her at all.

It was coming from me.

I had never cried out for my son a day in his life. Not when I lost him, not when I watched the new priest beat him, not when he was almost killed by an angry mob, but here I was, crying for him now, 40 years too late and because I feel the pain and regret from what I had caused. But just like me, they were useless, an utter waste as I watch them take my only living family and leave me in the dust, tears stinging my eyes.

Now I was reaping the consequences of my selfish intent.

Everything was like it was before. I was now all alone and as penniless as I was before I made that deal, but now, I didn't want the money anymore. I just wanted my son back.

But what could I do? I am a frail, old woman in her 60's. I'm not strong enough to carry even the lightest of burdens, let alone fight off an entire camp by myself and I have no friends who would help me. Not anymore, at least. Besides, because of my actions, Erik wouldn't want anything to do with me. Who would blame him?

I don't even want anything to do with me.

Well, I suppose that the best place to start is by going to the camp itself. I thought as I grabbed a rifle and got into the carriage that still held their stuff.

With a snap of the reins, I was off, following the tracks that the gypsies had left behind.

Erik's POV

I didn't know how long I was out for or how long we were in the caged cart. All I could remember was the heart-wrenching sound of my family's screams as I woke up from my trama-induced sleep. I had hoped that somehow Evangeline and the twins would have escaped to Paris, but as my eyes scanned the cramped space, I sat up and looked on in dread, taking note that they were taken with me. 

"Evangeline? Children?" I called to them, my heart twisting in my chest at the sight of my loved ones trapped here, but a selfish part of me was glad that I wouldn't have to be alone. 

The three of them rushed to my side, visibly relieved that I was okay. The men had beaten me so hard, I thought that I would suffer severe brain damage if they continued. With all of us together, I held them in my arms as a child would hold onto his favorite stuffed animal, silence filling the cage we were sitting in. But after a few minutes, I spoke.

"I'm sorry, my loves. I'm so sorry." I gave a sorrowful moan, "I never wanted this to happen to any of you. I wanted you all to live in peace and happiness, but as usual, I ruined everything."

"Erik, that ain't true." Evangeline tried to comfort me.

"Yes it is! If I hadn't dragged you into this, you three would be at home, safe and sound. But because of my selfishness, not only am I bringing you and the children into this, but our unborn child is in danger as well!"

My head then rested against the bars of the cage as I gave a tired sigh.

"Maybe it would have been better if you would have left me to die, Angel. None of you would be in this mess right now and I'll be getting the punishment that I deserved for-"

"I, Evangeline Charlotte Levinia McKenna, take you, Erik Gaston Deslter, as my husband, to have and to hold from this day forward for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health to love and cherish, 'till death do us part, according to God's holy law. We made that vow together ten years ago today, remember? And I am going to honor that vow until the day I die. You called yourself selfish about wanting support while visiting that evil woman and I'm being selfish now."

With that, she gave me a long kiss on the lips as we held the children tightly to ourselves, the saltiness of her tears mixing with my own. When we finally parted, I took a look at our children. They were calm now, but both had a look of fear on their faces.

"What's gonna happen to us, Daddy?" Octavia's voice wavered.

"Are we gonna be okay?" Osmand asked, burying his head in my chest.

My wife and I looked at each other and then back at the twins.

"I don't know, mes petits anges. But whatever happens, we will be together and no one will hurt any of you."

Suddenly, we felt a jolt as we turned into the Gipsy camp.

Through the steel bars, we saw what appeared to be scores of bright, colorful tents in the middle of nowhere, teeming with life as people stepped outside of their tents while we passed by. Many of them jeered and laughed at us while others stared at us with sympathy and pity. Soon, the sound of laughter changed into moans of agony and pain. At that moment, the cart stopped moving and we were able to see people with disabilities in identical cages, some being beaten, others with looks of depression clear on their faces.

As we continued to look in horror, the door of the cage opened and Javert stepped inside, a wicked cackle coming from his lips and a smirk on his face.

"Living Corpse? Wench and half breeds? Welcome to Hell!" He snickered as some more men came inside with ropes and weapon drawn.

My grip around my wife and children grew tighter as the group stalked closer to us. Then, without warning, two of the men began to yank Ozzie and Tia out of my arms.

"MOMMY! DADDY!" They cried.

I held onto them as tightly as I could before they finally succeeded and they began to drag Evangeline out of my hold. After what felt like an hour of her kicking and screaming, they were able to drag her away from the cart, leaving me alone with Javert.

By the frightening grin on his face, I knew that this would be a very long night.

A/N: Hello my fellow Phantom Phans! How're y'all doing today?

Thank you guys so much for the 13.8k views, the 1.14k votes, and all of your comments so far.

You guys are simply wonderful! 💖

Well, it seems that Madeleine is attempting a rescue.

Will she succeed?

Will the family be stuck there forever?

Vote, Comment, and Share and I'll see y'all next time!

M'kay, bye! 🌺